PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot play "The Dark Knight" digital copy

Eddie Wilson
February 3rd, 2009, 09:11 PM
Good day all. I purchased the movie The Dark Knight and with the movie came a bonus digital copy. When I went online to get the movie I had a choice of the WMV format or the itunes format. I can play wmv files in Ubuntu so I choose that. I tried in every player I have and could not get the movie to play. All I can figure out is that the movie is full of DRM. Because of that it has to be played with Windows Media Player. I don't have WMP or Windows on any of my machines. I've search the forums without any success. Does anyone know of a way I can strip out the DRM or play a protected wmv file?

Thanks,
Eddie

dissection
February 4th, 2009, 02:04 AM
You could probably rip the dvd. That would probably be the easiest way to have a digital copy on your computer.

x C0MMAND0 x
February 4th, 2009, 02:31 AM
Have you tried VLC media player?

sudo apt-get install vlc

I have had great luck with it playing all kinds of video formats.

Eddie Wilson
February 4th, 2009, 03:13 AM
Have you tried VLC media player?

sudo apt-get install vlc

I have had great luck with it playing all kinds of video formats.

I use VLC but it won't play encrypted digital WMV files.

Eddie Wilson
February 9th, 2009, 02:56 PM
You could probably rip the dvd. That would probably be the easiest way to have a digital copy on your computer.

The movie can't be ripped with anything we now have available. It looks like I'm the one who got ripped on this deal.](*,)

Ringi
February 9th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Try Songbird if you haven't.

spazz135
February 9th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Hey download something called dvd 9 to 5 it works very well and it makes the dark night or any dvds original copy and makes it a 4 chapter movie tht can be put together and on a flash drive or any thing you want. very nice digital quality.;)

Eddie Wilson
February 9th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Try Songbird if you haven't.

I will try Songbird but I believe it will only play encrypted WMA files and not WMV files. I will check because my info may be outdated.

Thanks,
Eddie

Eddie Wilson
February 9th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Hey download something called dvd 9 to 5 it works very well and it makes the dark night or any dvds original copy and makes it a 4 chapter movie tht can be put together and on a flash drive or any thing you want. very nice digital quality.;)

Thank You but I've tried that and it does work very well on most dvd's. However it cannot get by "The Dark Knight" DRM indexing scheme.

JustinJS
February 26th, 2009, 08:39 PM
yeah im trying to figure this one out right now. I get it to play in vlc but its all scrambles like the old pr0n channels on cable back in the day. I'll post up if i can figure it out.