PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installed program disappears

Spitting Crows
February 3rd, 2009, 03:54 AM
Hi. I just reformatted my linux partition and reinstalled intrepid. Among the programs I regularly use is Vlan audio/video for radio/net stream tv/movies what have you. It's versatile and lovely. I installed it through Synaptic Package Manager (and it shows as currently installed), but I can't find it in any of my menu's or menu-editing options. I tried searching my root and found some vlan files, but none of them appear to be the actual program, as none have the traffic cone icon. I'm used to working dos-based, so maybe i'm going about it wrong. But Ubuntu thinks it's on my computer and updated (according to SPM). Ideas? Thanks.

2hot6ft2
February 3rd, 2009, 04:07 AM
I don't see anything about a gui for it in synaptic so have you tried the terminal?
Applications>Accessories>Terminal

vlan
or

sudo vlan

handydan918
February 3rd, 2009, 04:10 AM
assuming that the name of the application is actually vlan, do
which vlanto find out where the executable resides.

Spitting Crows
February 3rd, 2009, 05:32 AM
I'm a bit embarrassed. I had a similar problem with a program (nicotene+) before I reinstalled intrepid, so I figured one try at reinstalling the package was enough. I tried again to reinstall the package through SPM just now and VLC shows up in my menus. Thanks so much for the prompt responses!