PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.0.4 ibook g4 pulling my blankin hair out

sluggerjd
February 3rd, 2009, 02:19 AM
Hi I am on my phone because my recently unusable ibookg4(due to ubuntu) just won't booooooot! Ok ok enough with the crying ik.... well here is what I am getting......
Cannot allocate resource region0 of device two lines of this then
Please wait, then the screen goes to just black with a (-) on the top left... I have found that live-nosplash-powerpc video=ofonly ide-core modprobe worked for me those two times but now nothing works.......
This is my only computer right now and I need it so please help asap

sluggerjd
February 3rd, 2009, 02:59 AM
bump!!! please help i am so desperate!

cmeeks2662
February 3rd, 2009, 03:03 AM
You appear not to be the only one here is some info form the archives
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-628513.html

sluggerjd
February 3rd, 2009, 03:12 AM
That doesnt help me at all.. someone please be specific it wont boot and the screen goes black!

mkvnmtr
February 3rd, 2009, 03:52 AM
Ok be specific. Are you getting this on the live disk or are you getting it after an install when it tells you to reboot?

sluggerjd
February 3rd, 2009, 03:54 AM
its after I boot from an install of the alternative ppc ubuntu 8.04 I have tried it all!

mkvnmtr
February 3rd, 2009, 04:11 AM
OK .The deal about can not allocute resources means nothing. Don't worry about it. On my G4 Ibook I have had it on every distro from Ubuntu. By the time you get to the blank black screen it is too late to type in the live nosplash options. You have to do that right when the yboot first comes up. Before it starts to load the kernel.You only have about 3 seconds to press the tab key. I seem to remember one that did this to me. I think it was 6.10 or 7.04. One time I pressed the tab key at the right time and typed in the right option and I never had to do it again. I have had this happen on several live disks. On my 8.04 install disk to get it to boot I have to type in live-nosplash-powerpc. I am going to restart my system a few times to see if I can get an ideahow to help you.

sluggerjd
February 3rd, 2009, 04:31 AM
i know about the live nosplash crap and when to type it in you type help and then u have unlimited time yati yati yatta i need a code or something that will work... do i type Linux then live-nosplash-powerpc or Linux modprobe or ide-core i am so confused! I am saying the only line i got to work and only got it to work twice is ........ Linux live-nosplash-powerpc video=ofonly modprobe ide-core.

mkvnmtr
February 3rd, 2009, 04:31 AM
I can't seem to find anything to help you. It seems like some threads I have read about different machines that have to edit their xorg configuration files but it has never happened to me so I don't know what to do. Maybe some with some experience in this problem will read your thread and give you an idea what to do.

sluggerjd
February 3rd, 2009, 04:43 AM
will a new install help?

ppc_guy
February 3rd, 2009, 09:24 AM
As much as you probably don't want to hear that. Ran into the same issue with my Dual G4/450.. Had to boot my osx disk, format some space for X and leave the rest unallocated. Then once my X install was done I went back and installed ubuntu again.. I don't care what operating system you use. An external drive and regular backups are a must.

Nathan
----------------------------------------------------------------
When you are Sierra-Oscar-Lima. I am Hotel-Tango-Hotel.
----------------------------------------------------------------