PDA

View Full Version : GRUB 2 Error at boot

Emp123
February 2nd, 2009, 11:46 PM
Hey, so I recently installed Mythbuntu 8.10 which is my first time running Linux so please forgive my complete lack of knowledge.

I started by using RAID 0 for my two 400gb hard drives and Mythbuntu installed just fine, but after I restarted I get the following message:

AMD Data CHange...Update New Data to DMI!
GRUB Loading Stage1.5.

GRUB loading, please wait...
Error 2

The bios doesnt recognize the hard drives when theyre in RAID mode, but the RAID software does. I dont know if this is normal or not as this is also my first time using RAID drives.

What does that message mean and how do I fix it?

Heres a list of my system specs:
Mobo: Biostar A770 A2+
CPU: AMD X2 4850e
Memory: Kingston 512 DDR2 800
Hard Drives: 2 Seagate 400gb SATA drives
GPU: ATi Radeon 800xl
Tuner Card: Im thinking about going with the Hauppauge 1800 but as of right now Im not sure.

Emp123
February 4th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Update:

So I decided to reinstall Mythbuntu on a 30 gig IDE drive and now it will boot up and work normally, but it does not detect the hard drives in the RAID, or maybe it does and I just dont know how to see them. What are my options here?

Emp123
February 6th, 2009, 01:59 AM
No suggestions on how to get Mythbuntu to recognize the hard drives in the raid? Do I have to install Mythbuntu differently because Im using multiple hard drives?

lightsaber
April 20th, 2009, 12:36 PM
When doing the install, on the final confirmation screen, click on the advanced options button. If your drives are identified as sd*, then make sure it's not referenceing hd() or something like that. I changed mine to /dev/sda and it booted right up.

ReddogOne
April 22nd, 2009, 01:59 PM
I had the same error. It was on a Dell so as the machine booted up I pressed Ctrl-I and turned the RAID stuff off and then all was fine. If you not got a Dell then I guess you'll have something similar.

Seems something like the install sees the drives as separate but grub sees them as a RAID. As turning the RAID controller OFF fixed the problem I lost interest in finding out any more details.

My second drive shows up as a media disk to happy with that.