PDA

View Full Version : Wish they could make the signatures longer?!

kevdog
February 2nd, 2009, 02:17 PM
I understand the purpose of a 250 character limit on signatures, however including the html markup as part of this 250 characters is quite ridiculous, particularly if you are referencing a long link! Although I can guess the answer, is there any way the software could be updated in the future, to actually limit the number of actual characters that appear to the user, and ignore markup/formatting statements?

Elfy
February 2nd, 2009, 02:36 PM
I use tinyurls for links, which can help.

cyberdork33
February 2nd, 2009, 05:25 PM
i understand the purpose of a 250 character limit on signatures, however including the html markup as part of this 250 characters is quite ridiculous, particularly if you are referencing a long link! Although i can guess the answer, is there any way the software could be updated in the future, to actually limit the number of actual characters that appear to the user, and ignore markup/formatting statements?
+1

-grubby
February 2nd, 2009, 05:50 PM
Agreed.

Simian Man
February 2nd, 2009, 05:55 PM
Signatures are annoying. 250 characters are more than enough for your google-bombing.

sisco311
February 2nd, 2009, 05:57 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/misc.php?do=bbcode

You can use the tag to link to threads by specifying the thread id.
[thread=520091]BUMP ;)
BUMP

oh, and +1 for tinyurls.

kevdog
February 2nd, 2009, 07:00 PM
Tinyurl -- good concept - but seriously why should I have to rely on an outside service for this.

Few other things:
[thread] -- Nice trick -- thanks for suggestion

But what about

-- Why can't this just be or [CEN] -- when you are talking about 250 characters -- every character you can save is precious! In this example
[C]... That would save a total of 10 character compared to [CENTER]. Same with the [INDENT] -- wouldn't [IN] be more economical as well?

Yes I'm rambling, however, I don't use my signature for SPAM! I use it more for useful links that I think can help others solve problems specifically related to ubuntu.

drubin
February 2nd, 2009, 08:30 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/misc.php?do=bbcode

You can use the tag to link to threads by specifying the thread id.
[thread=520091]BUMP ;)
BUMP

oh, and +1 for tinyurls.

That is a great feature I haven't ever seen it before nice! (if only the thanks plugin was here)

Ok I see the issue with giving users a limit for their signature I even agree with it. But isn't there a simple way to base this on post count ie new users get 100 chars. and when you reach 250 or X you get more?

I feel that users over 1000 posts should be allowed slightly longer sigs since they often contain more relavent links.

This being said I am still in favor of including html markup in this count since people would have every single letter a different color that would anoy the living daylights out of me :)

+1 on longer plain text full links (helps with being able to see what the url you are being re-directed to is)

KiwiNZ
February 2nd, 2009, 08:38 PM
Isn't high quality informative posts more desirable than large resource hogging signatures?

drubin
February 2nd, 2009, 08:55 PM
Isn't high quality informative posts more desirable than large resource hogging signatures?

This threads URL length is +-50 chars even with the thread tags
test it is still 29 chars.

I am a not a fan of having to resort to tinyurl since users can't see what they are clicking on.

overdrank
February 2nd, 2009, 09:00 PM
/me thinking about renting signature space

:p

drubin
February 2nd, 2009, 09:02 PM
/me thinking about renting signature space

:p

First remove animated avatar (Disco lights confuse me). Then remove large unneeded image in the bottom right corner. After that we can talk about costs :)

KiwiNZ
February 2nd, 2009, 09:09 PM
I am not in favor of increasing signature size at all . They become way too big and you end up having just a few posts per page and a mass of ugly signature files dominating the screen.

Its about content not self advertising .

sisco311
February 2nd, 2009, 10:38 PM
I am not in favor of increasing signature size at all . They become way too big and you end up having just a few posts per page and a mass of ugly signature files dominating the screen.

+1

A signature (from Latin signare, "sign") is a handwritten (and sometimes stylized) depiction of someone's name, nickname or even a simple "X" that a person writes on documents as a proof of identity and intent. The writer of a signature is a signatory. Like a handwritten signature, a signature work describes the work as readily identifying its creator.Contents [hide]

It's :( if you !zip your sig in FA chars. :D

Frak
February 2nd, 2009, 10:40 PM
Tinyurl -- good concept - but seriously why should I have to rely on an outside service for this.

Few other things:
[thread] -- Nice trick -- thanks for suggestion

But what about

-- Why can't this just be or [CEN] -- when you are talking about 250 characters -- every character you can save is precious! In this example
[C]... That would save a total of 10 character compared to [CENTER]. Same with the [INDENT] -- wouldn't [IN] be more economical as well?

Yes I'm rambling, however, I don't use my signature for SPAM! I use it more for useful links that I think can help others solve problems specifically related to ubuntu.
bbcode doesn't count toward signature size.

smartboyathome
February 3rd, 2009, 02:02 AM

It does count towards total signature size, which is 250 characters. I would love if center could be shortened to [c]. :)

Frak
February 3rd, 2009, 02:19 AM
It does count towards total signature size, which is 250 characters. I would love if center could be shortened to [c]. :)
The following errors occurred with your submission:

1. Your signature cannot be longer than 250 characters excluding BB code markup.

kevdog
February 3rd, 2009, 04:40 AM
After thinking about it, tinyurl in my opinion is a crappy way to get around the link problem -- users can not see the actual link and where they will be directed to on hovering over the link.

Seriously -- signatures in many cases aren't a form of advertisement. Its well known that most people responding to this thread specifically are regular contributors (for free!) Although we can disagree on a few things, I think we can agree that the purpose Im requesting this is not for advertisement or self promotion but rather for an easier way for me to help others. I find useful or interesting links in signatures very helpful for me even know. I shouldn't be punished however if my link location is longer than yours however. That's nuts! If they can exclude BB markup, then certainly they can exclude HTML markup -- seriously its a simple sed function for pete's sake.

KiwiNZ
February 3rd, 2009, 05:38 AM
We are not implementing any changes in the foreseeable future

SushiR
February 3rd, 2009, 06:07 AM
I found huge signatures annoying. They're distracting while reading threads. But that's just my two cents...

cyberdork33
February 3rd, 2009, 03:58 PM

I don't think you should increase the size either, I just think that you shouldn't count the content that is not actually seen in the signature against the signature character limit.

Also, I will GLADLY only point to Ubuntu domains if it means that this can be changed. All my links already point to Ubuntu-centric information, even those that go to my personal website.

The thread ID trick is cool. Didn't know about that one.

Your signature cannot be longer than 500 characters including BB code markup. This doesn't seem to bad, but there is a limit. Maybe if links could be grouped in here it would make things much better.

jenkinbr
February 3rd, 2009, 10:50 PM
If you want to link to a specific post, try tags.

example: link to above post
turns out as: link to above post

I currently use them in my sig because I have too much stuff for hard coded tags.