PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Connecting to internet with linksys wusb100

Mister J
January 28th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Hello. I am trying Ubuntu for the first time, and it's a bit overwhelming. The first thing I want to do is connect to the internet, but I can't seem to do it. I have a linksys WUSB100 wireless adapter connected to my home network. I tried the troubleshooting, but that was just a weird loop. (Device is disabled, try turning it on. If the device is on, check to see if it's disabled. >.>) I am running Ubuntu on a PC that normally uses Vista. Vista accesses the net fine.

There have been a couple topics about this already, but I didn't understand what they were talking about. Something about a wrapper. I was hoping someone could please explain to me what I need to do, as if you were explaining it to Michael Scott from "the Office". lol

Thank you so much for your time.

brsmits
January 28th, 2009, 08:30 AM
If you go into System > Prefs > Network Configurations : Wireless tab

You could manually enter the name of your network and configurations from there.

Mister J
January 28th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Will that work even on a device that says it disabled?

brsmits
January 28th, 2009, 08:37 AM
One you put in the network info, you should be a able to see if any packets are being transfered. When you hit the hardware switch and packets come in, then it's on. (That's my guess)

Mister J
January 28th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Not working. If that wont work, can someone please reccomend a wireless adapter that will work very easily with Ubuntu? I'm generally against buying stuff I don't need, but not having internet really cripples me from learning and using ubuntu.