PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Backing up FIles through ubunut live disc

itsvan
January 28th, 2009, 05:48 AM
i need to back up files on my broken ubuntu system,,im using the ubunut live disc,,how can i do that? also some files wont open because of a user restriciont. how can i clear it?

Izek
January 28th, 2009, 06:27 AM
if you're having trouble moving the files, in terminal...

sudo nautilus
make sure you copy and paste or something in the SAME INSTANCE. Otherwise you have to run two sudo nautilus instances from two terminals.

if you want to change permissions, what do you prefer? GUI or terminal?

itsvan
January 28th, 2009, 07:57 AM
i use the terminal better

rraj.be
January 28th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Its better to use

sudo nautilus
Its really heavy and much powerfull . . .

itsvan
January 28th, 2009, 08:17 AM
HI im on ubuntu live disc,,and i need to back up files from a broken ubunut system,,but i dont know how to burn them on to a disc or get the user right to move my files..please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

itsvan
January 28th, 2009, 08:29 AM
HI im on ubuntu live disc,,and i need to back up files from a severely damaged ubuntu system,,but i dont know how to burn them on to a disc or get the user right to move my files..please help!!!!!!!!!!!!! i must save these important files

brsmits
January 28th, 2009, 08:34 AM
You have a flash drive or ipod?

itsvan
January 28th, 2009, 08:39 AM
yes i do,,problem is, i cant move some files,well most of them,,because it says its restricted,,waht do i do?

kshtjsnghl
January 28th, 2009, 08:50 AM
hey try checking the permissions of the files that you want to move
it must be read write to move.

itsvan
January 28th, 2009, 08:53 AM
i cant,,it says im not the owner i cant change the permision..i need to overrule it or something

phrostbyte
January 28th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Go superuser with sudo, sudo can override any permissions.

You can do this easily by hitting ALT-F2 and typing "gksu nautilus" in the window that appears.

itsvan
January 28th, 2009, 09:02 AM
for some reason is still not letting me!!

kshtjsnghl
January 28th, 2009, 09:03 AM
You should prefix the chmod command with sudo to change the permissions of the file of which you are not owner. The password is the same as your user password.
edit ; oh that has already been suggested.

Rocket2DMn
January 29th, 2009, 03:52 AM
Threads merged.

presence1960
January 29th, 2009, 05:17 AM
This has worked for me in the past when i had similar issues for a few files : open terminal and cd to directory containing files. My user name is raz and the group is raz. so I did this
sudo chown raz:raz filename. I don't know how many files you need to change permission on, if it is a lot I am sure someone can show you a better way.