PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Nas

chat1410
January 28th, 2009, 04:47 AM
I'm planning on building a NAS (a mini-itx motherboard, 512 MB RAM, 3 SATA HDDs in RAID 5, probably 1.5 TB) My requirements:
*Lightweight enough to run on that limited hardware
*SSH with RSA authentication
*VNC
*Hamachi
*FTP
*SMB
*Proxy server
*(if possible, although not required) compatibility with Time Machine (I've read you can do it with unsupported drives, but it's basically a waste of time because you can't do a restore from it)

For just about all of this, FreeNAS would be perfect, I downloaded it, installed on a virtual machine and played around. Unfortunately, compiling and installing programs doesn't appear to be possible. Therefore I'm jumping over to Ubuntu. I installed the desktop version on a virtual machine, but I'm starting to think the server version will be better (I don't always want X on start up, only really during initial setup and if I need to change a lot over VNC, otherwise SSH will be perfect).

I've read several guides on getting SSH working with RSA authentication, haven't gotten it to work yet but I figure I will eventually.
Does anyone have any comments, suggestions or articles that may be helpful? Thanks, I'll try to answer any questions quickly.

chat1410
January 29th, 2009, 01:57 AM
Well I found a nice article about Ubuntu and Time Machine, I'm about to try it.

http://www.kremalicious.com/2008/06/ubuntu-as-mac-file-server-and-time-machine-volume/