PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need to recover corrupted data

arashiko28
January 28th, 2009, 04:19 AM
My sister plugged her usb drive on several infected windows computers, and then she gave it to me. It had 4 virus, so I cleaned it by terminal. She's using Ubuntu too, so this is the weird part, in only half an hour her drive got infected again with 2 different virus than the ones I deleted and now all her data is corrupted. Is this normal? What just happened here? Can we recover the files?

handydan918
January 28th, 2009, 04:39 AM
Do a backup of the disk and PM me. I would love to see a virus that does what you say this did. I have test machines just waiting for this kind of abuse.

emarkd
January 28th, 2009, 04:43 AM
Viruses are just software and Windows viruses don't work on Linux any better than Windows apps do. Are you sure that's what happened?

bumanie
January 28th, 2009, 04:45 AM
Your best bet to recover her files are via a program called photorec - despite the name, it recovers many more file types than just photos. Photorec is part of testdisk, therefore in terminal
sudo apt-get install testdiskTo run photorec
sudo photorecRead the documentation here (http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk)Click on photorec in the top left hand box. Near the bottom of the page there is a step by step tutorial of how to use photorec. Good luck, if the files are corrupted, you may not find much of use, but if only the filesystem is corrupted, you have a good chance of recovering the files as photorec reads raw data off the disk, not the filesystem.

arashiko28
February 10th, 2009, 11:14 PM
I'm not sure about what happened, her best shot was to give it all for lost and format the disk.
Actually I'm being more careful now, because I used to plug anything, confident that no windows virus would mess around my computer.
I mean, even if I have wine, it's supposed to do harm only on the virtual disk that wine creates and if opened with it. I don't have it set to open anything automatically, so that's a long shot to be running through wine.

theozzlives
February 10th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Wine don't use a virtual disk, it installs in your home folder. The only way to get a actual file that stores a virtual disk is to install a VM.