PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] sound preferences

wstay
January 28th, 2009, 03:33 AM
I would like to change the default sound under Sound Preferences but is unable to do so.
Is there a way to do it?
Can someone please help.

stoogiebuncho
February 1st, 2009, 07:45 AM
What is preventing you from changing the sound?

What I do is go to System > Preferences > Sound and go to the "Sounds" Tab. To change a sound, I click on the drop down box and select "Select Sound File".

If that's not working, maybe the sound you want to use is not the proper format. What type of sound file is it?

wstay
February 1st, 2009, 12:09 PM

What I do is go to System > Preferences > Sound and go to the "Sounds" Tab. To change a sound, I click on the drop down box and select "Select Sound File".

If that's not working, maybe the sound you want to use is not the proper format. What type of sound file is it?

I go to System > Preferences > Sound and go to the "Sounds" Tab and the only drop down box I have is for the Sound Theme. And when I click on the down arrow there isn't anything for me to select. The only wording I can see in the Sound Theme box is Ubuntu.
There isn't any drop down box for "Select Sound File" anywhere on the Sound Preferences page.

stoogiebuncho
February 1st, 2009, 08:57 PM
What happens when you open the Sound Preferences from a terminal? Do you get any error messages?

gnome-sound-properties

Also, if you could upload a screenshot of your sound settings, that might be helpful as well

wstay
February 3rd, 2009, 06:10 AM
What happens when you open the Sound Preferences from a terminal? Do you get any error messages?

gnome-sound-properties

Also, if you could upload a screenshot of your sound settings, that might be helpful as well

My Sound Preferences opens alright from a terminal.
Please see attachment and hope you can help.

wstay
February 8th, 2009, 09:40 AM

So you see that there isn't any drop down box for "Select Sound File".
Is there a way to install or to change the Sound Preferences properties to include this?

stoogiebuncho
February 8th, 2009, 06:47 PM
I'm not able to open that screenshot.

Are you running 8.10?

wstay
February 9th, 2009, 02:26 AM
I'm not able to open that screenshot.

Are you running 8.10?

Yes I am running Ubuntu 8.10.
I save the attachment "gnome-sound-properties tar.gz" to my Desktop and it opens ok.
Can you please try again.

stoogiebuncho
February 9th, 2009, 03:22 AM
Ok. I'm still on 8.04, and I think the sound preferences thing is different between the two versions, which is probably why my advice isn't helping you.

You might check out this thread, as it seems it might apply to you:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6573353

As for your screenshot, it still doesn't work for me. It's a file with no extention and when I try to open it in various image viewers it says the format is not recognized.

wstay
February 9th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Ok. I'm still on 8.04, and I think the sound preferences thing is different between the two versions, which is probably why my advice isn't helping you.

You might check out this thread, as it seems it might apply to you:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6573353

As for your screenshot, it still doesn't work for me. It's a file with no extention and when I try to open it in various image viewers it says the format is not recognized.

I found this file 'gnome-sound-properties' in /usr/bin and is an executable (application/x-executable) file which I find that it cannot be send to you in this format. So I created an archive file from it and send to you as an attachment as a gnome-sound-properties.tar.gz file. So the extension should be .tar.gz. And when I saved it to my Desktop and double click on it, it opened alright. I don't know how to create a screenshot with other extension. May be you can show me how?

stoogiebuncho
February 9th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Actually, to take a screenshot, all you need to do is press the Print Screen button. It will take a picture of whatever is on your screen at that second (so be sure to have the sound preferences window open), and save it as a .png file on your desktop.

Did you find any helpful information in that other thread I linked to?

wstay
February 10th, 2009, 05:15 AM
Actually, to take a screenshot, all you need to do is press the Print Screen button. It will take a picture of whatever is on your screen at that second (so be sure to have the sound preferences window open), and save it as a .png file on your desktop.

Thanks.
I found the answer in the thread you gave me.
And attach here is a screenshot of my sound properties file.

wstay
February 15th, 2009, 05:06 AM

Hello again.
Though the link you gave me is useful, I find that setting the sound files (from my other partition where I store my sound files) with the custom setting is one thing.
To get the computer to play my custom sound file when I restart my computer with the startup.wav sound file is another thing. I mean, on restart, my computer doesn't play my custom startup.wav sound file.

Hope you can please tell me where I should place or put my custom sound file on my installed Linux partition?

stoogiebuncho
February 15th, 2009, 07:52 AM
It seems like you should be able to specify any sound you want as the startup sound, though it would probably help to have it on the same partition as your Ubuntu install.

I'd try just moving it to your home folder and see if you can use the sound preferences to point to it there.

If that doesn't work, you can find where the rest of the system sounds are stored. Open a terminal, and enter:

locate startup.wav

It will tell you where it finds that file, and that's probably where the system sounds are. On my machine it's /usr/share/sounds/

wstay
February 16th, 2009, 01:56 AM
It seems like you should be able to specify any sound you want as the startup sound, though it would probably help to have it on the same partition as your Ubuntu install.

I'd try just moving it to your home folder and see if you can use the sound preferences to point to it there.

If that doesn't work, you can find where the rest of the system sounds are stored. Open a terminal, and enter:

locate startup.wav

It will tell you where it finds that file, and that's probably where the system sounds are. On my machine it's /usr/share/sounds/

I had tried to copy my sound file to my Desktop and also using the termimal as a SU (root) copy it to /usr/share/sounds/. And I still could not get my custom sound file to play. I think we have to create a link from the Sound Preferences to my custom sound file to where-ever we put it. But how do we create a link?

wstay
February 21st, 2009, 10:06 AM

locate startup.wav

The sound files in /usr/share/sounds are all with .ogg extension.
My custom sound file startup.wav does not play when I restart my computer.
Is there away to change the startup.wav to startup.ogg?

stoogiebuncho
February 21st, 2009, 06:58 PM
Open the file in Audacity, and then go to File > Export. It should have the option to export as an ogg.

wstay
February 24th, 2009, 05:40 AM
Open the file in Audacity, and then go to File > Export. It should have the option to export as an ogg.

I open the file in Audacity, and then go to File > Export.
The 'Save in folder:' option is grey-out.
That means I cannot fill in anything there.
And I do not know how to continue from there to save the .wav sound file to .ogg Can you please advice on how to continue from there?