PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need Help - Ubuntu 8.10/Vista Dual Boot Wireless Issue

phoenixhawke
January 27th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Ok, I'm a complete newb to ubuntu. I have it installed, seems to work fine, recognizes my laptop's wireless card, connects to my home network... everything appears to be great. However, when I booted back into Vista (No comments necessary, I hate vista too), I began to experience wireless issues. Specifically, my wireless card appears to be recognized by vista, it sees my home network, but when I try to connect, it just won't. I get a message stating "Did not receive any response from the network". I did all the normal troubleshooting steps from vista, got fed up and left it for a couple hours, came back, tried to connect again, and it worked.

So I was like, Great! But then I booted into Ubuntu again to play around with it some more, went back to vista to do some work, and once again, no connection. Nothing i could do to bring it up, but then a few hours later I tried again and it worked. The next time I rebooted, I didn't even log into Ubuntu (forgot to tell it to switch to Vista), and I had the same problem. This never happened before i started playing with Ubuntu... help?

I'm typing this up from Vista because I'm afraid to boot back into linux and lose my internet connection again (for the time being, for various reasons, i need to stick with vista as my primary OS).

This is the model of my wireless card:

Realtek RTL8187B Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter

I can supply any other specs at need. I really want to get this working so i can continue the business of learning about linux

Thanks,
~Brian

mjheagle8
January 27th, 2009, 11:41 PM
does linux detect your wireless card?
please post the output of

lshw -c network

phoenixhawke
January 27th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Yes, as I mentioned ubuntu recognizes the wireless card without problems. I switched over to run that code you sent (which means when i switch back to vista i won't be able to connect again...) But hopefully this will get worked out and I'll be able to switch back and forth seamlessly

The output:

WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller
vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:08:00.0
logical name: eth0
version: 01
serial: 00:03:25:5a:14:61
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI latency=0 module=r8169 multicast=yes
*-network:0
description: Wireless interface
physical id: 2
logical name: wlan0
serial: 00:16:44:ad:08:da
capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes ip=192.168.1.3 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bg
*-network:1 DISABLED
description: Ethernet interface
physical id: 3
logical name: pan0
serial: fe:8f:b7:ea:66:42
capabilities: ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=bridge driverversion=2.3 firmware=N/A multicast=yes

mjheagle8
January 28th, 2009, 10:35 PM
https://help.ubuntu.com/7.10/internet/C/wireless-connecting.html
did you see this page for help connecting to the internet? maybe your connection settings are a little screwed up.

phoenixhawke
January 28th, 2009, 11:37 PM
No, the problem is when I switch back to Vista. Ubuntu is connecting with no problems... The problem with vista seems to be caused by ubuntu, as it only shows up after i've booted ubuntu. If I only boot from vista into vista, it doesn't happen, but if i boot from ubuntu to vista, then it spazzes out on me. Really, really weird interaction problem

mjheagle8
January 29th, 2009, 07:21 AM
thats not caused by ubuntu. ubuntu does not modify the card settings or anything that would cause it to not work. there is nothing i know of that could cause ubuntu to interfere with another system.

phoenixhawke
January 29th, 2009, 04:13 PM
This only happens after booting from ubuntu directly into vista. I discovered late last night that if I power the computer completely off before booting vista, then the card works fine. I am suspecting at this point that ubuntu (or the linux driver for the wireless card) is not resetting the state of the wireless card properly before shutting down.