PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Good DE

codejunkie123
January 27th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Hi Everybody

I am the latest newbie

In short i work as a web developer, and have decided to migrate from windows to linux, at work (sick of slow responses etc)

I have found everything I need in the awesome compiz/ubuntu enviroment except one, very major thing!

At work we use, HTML kit tools, because it holds folders (projects) of individual web-sites, which we can then connect via FTP instantly and edit the PHP on the fly without repeatedly entering passwords or using an external app to upload/download each time.

Although Quanta seems to almost do this, it only seems to remember the "recently opened" projects, which is not quite what im looking for.

My question is this, I am missing a third party bolt in/pluggin that everybody uses to achieve this? Have I miss configured Quanta?

Surely linux users do not work on one site remotely at a time, and use separate apps to perform the uploads/downloads.

Any advice would be VERY appreciated

:popcorn:

LowSky
January 27th, 2009, 10:22 PM
HTML kit is also availible on linux
http://www.chami.com/html-kit/tools/linux/
but there are planty of HTML editor out there, just look through add/remove or synaptic, theres a few choices

codejunkie123
January 28th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Hi Thanks for replying

Unfortunately HTML kit is no longer available in the native version of linux, (it runs on wine), and some of its features cause an instant crash, which makes it less reliable than windows!.

Furthermore it is not even HTML kit tools, which has the website FTP hierarchy that I am so fond of.

I`ve tried most of the editors out there on linux, but none seem to manage remote sites on the fly, surely this is not just a windows only feature?

Seriously, Am I to believe all editors on linux are only capable of editing simple text files locally, :( or is there not some way or application to make this a little less 1980s?

;)