View Full Version : [ubuntu] looking for an alternative : one of these

January 27th, 2009, 09:27 PM
I don't know exactly what to call it but the panel that houses the menu bar, open windows, network connection, etc. Is there a better one of these available? It doesn't seem that i can shorten it, it doesn't completely autohide, in fact it doesn't do much at all.

Is there an alternative available? If so what? It would need to be a complete "dock" meaning it would need to have the net manager, the clock, the menu, etc.

I am using gnome do but it doesnt list the open windows for switching between running apps easily. Nor can I figure out how to open the network manager for connecting to wireless access points. Or I should say if it does I haven't figured out how.

January 27th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Called a "Panel" and are customisable.
Right click on it and select properties, untick Expand to reduce the size.
You can have one or more panels and place them at the top, bottom, left or right.
You can add buttons to hide them.
There are alternative "Docks" available.
There's lots of help and discussion of this topic here (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=330).

January 27th, 2009, 09:50 PM
i found avant, but it requires compiz so I am out.

Thanks for the reply

January 27th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Ubuntu comes with Compiz

January 27th, 2009, 10:09 PM
The "fully autohide" function, unless it has been fixed since 7.10 (not sure, haven't tried it) can be worked around by having it hide to only 1 pixel in width. You won't even notice it on the top of your screen. =)

it doesnt list the open windows for switching between running apps easily
Not sure what you mean. You have a panel at the bottom which, by default, should show all your active windows.
You can also use alt+tab to switch between windows. It can become pretty snazzy, so don't give up on it.

There are plenty of links around to help you get your desktop exactly how you want it. Ask if you need suggestions.

January 28th, 2009, 12:13 AM
okay with your help i got it doing most of what I want I now just have a button in each corner that expands with what i place in it.

I have a few Gnome-do questions but I will post those in a new thread

Oh and PS, I wont give up on it :) I used to use KDE but 3.5x is no longer really "supported" you have to go back to 8.04 which I have no problem with and might actually do if I can get network manager 7 on it, for my cell card.