PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] noob question

thebozenator
January 27th, 2009, 09:07 PM
sorry for the noob question but i haven't had to do this in a while... what is the terminal command to edit GRUB's menu.lst from from the install disk?

ChildOfMana
January 27th, 2009, 09:11 PM
sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

It also helps if you have a more descriptive thread title :)

thebozenator
January 27th, 2009, 09:20 PM
sorry :o

i actually thought that was what it was but when i do that it sends me to a blank file. I think it is because it is sending me to at temp file used by the cd.I probably should have mentioned this before but i have a dual boot setup.

bobbob1016
January 27th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Actually, if you want to edit your menu.lst that is on your HD from a LiveCD, you have to mount your drive in the LiveCD. Open "Partition Editor" from System, that'll tell you what drive to use. Then in a terminal window on the LiveCD, type "sudo mkdir /media/root" then press enter then type "sudo mount /dev/sda1 (or whatever your / drive is) /media/root" then enter, then lastly type "gksu gedit /media/root/boot/grub/menu.lst". Typing this from my Blackjack phone, so I can't check that the directions are 100% accurate, but the ideas are, you want to mount your internal drive, and modify it's menu.lst.

ChildOfMana
January 27th, 2009, 09:24 PM
S'okay, just a heads up :)

Generally, if you try to edit a file that doesn't exist it will create one... so if you get a blank file you may not have a menu.lst in the specified location.

When you say you're using a Live CD, I assume you already have Ubuntu installed but had a problem with GRUB so have booted the Live CD to try to fix it?

Or have you not yet installed Ubuntu?

jerome1232
January 27th, 2009, 09:25 PM
If your wanting to edit the one that's one your filesystem you will need to mount that first.

So if your root partition is at /dev/sda1 then you would do this

sudo -i
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
nano /mnt/boot/grub/menu.lst

ChildOfMana
January 27th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Actually, if you want to edit your menu.lst that is on your HD from a LiveCD, you have to mount your drive in the LiveCD. Open "Partition Editor" from System, that'll tell you what drive to use. Then in a terminal window on the LiveCD, type "sudo mkdir /media/root" then press enter then type "sudo mount /dev/sda1 (or whatever your / drive is) /media/root" then enter, then lastly type "gksu gedit /media/root/boot/grub/menu.lst". Typing this from my Blackjack phone, so I can't check that the directions are 100% accurate, but the ideas are, you want to mount your internal drive, and modify it's menu.lst.

Can't believe I didn't think of that :eek:. My apologies!!

thebozenator
January 27th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Thats what i was missing!!!
Thanks Bob.
I should have known that... XP