PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Another NVIDIA thread

f800Rider
January 27th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Using Ubuntu 8.10

I just installed nvidia drivers, activated, and restarted. Now my display has a blue hue and I can't seem to fix it. I've tried changing the hue in my nvidia x server settings... no luck. I know there are many posts about nvidia and I've been looking through and trying things for about a day now with no results.

Anyone else experienced this or have an idea on how to fix it?

Baby steps on solutions are appreciated too, I'm new to Linux.

f800Rider
January 28th, 2009, 03:59 AM
bump... any ideas... anyone....

WestAussieUbu
January 28th, 2009, 04:01 AM
It may not necessarily be your graphics card.

Can you try posting a screenshot? If it doesnt show a hue on here, then it may be the way the card is talking to the monitor. Regardless I think it's a driver issue.

overdrank
January 28th, 2009, 04:03 AM
Hi and welcome, what is the model of the graphics card? Could you post a screen shot of the issue you are describing?
Which driver did you install.

f800Rider
January 28th, 2009, 04:59 AM
Thanks for the responses and interest. The driver: NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver version 177. And I'm attaching a screen shot, Probably bad quality because I took it with my phone and I can't tell how it looks because my display is messed up... The card is the geForce 6200 DDR2

http://ubuntuforums.org/picture.php?albumid=880&pictureid=2974

Thanks again

f800Rider
January 28th, 2009, 05:03 AM
Apologies, here is the screen shot, not a picture of my screen...

http://ubuntuforums.org/picture.php?albumid=880&pictureid=2975

pedja_portugalac
January 28th, 2009, 05:05 AM
Try to disable that driver. System > Administration > Hardware drivers. The driver that come with ubuntu is OK if you are not using special 3D effects. And then try to enable it again if you want.

f800Rider
January 28th, 2009, 05:23 AM
Try to disable that driver. System > Administration > Hardware drivers. The driver that come with ubuntu is OK if you are not using special 3D effects. And then try to enable it again if you want.

Right now I have deactivated the driver and I have color again, but the display will only go as large as 800 x 600. I saw on my screen shot above that it does not have the blue hue. I'm thinking it is definitely driver issues for two reasons, the same card worked fine with this monitor when using Windows XP, and when I power the computer on and off the Ubuntu loading screen is in perfect color.

I will try reactivating the driver and continue to work on the problem. I will update the thread if I find the solution.

overdrank
January 28th, 2009, 05:26 AM
Just a thought does that card need additional power. There was a user today that installed a nvidia card and did not plug in the extra power.

f800Rider
January 28th, 2009, 05:56 AM
Just a thought does that card need additional power. There was a user today that installed a nvidia card and did not plug in the extra power.

I don't think it does, never needed it before.