PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Rhythmbox won't add to library

amandat
January 27th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Hey
I'm a very new user here, and have just installed Ubuntu. I tried this afternoon to open Rhythmbox and it opened, but then I tried to add music to the library, but failed.
The files are mainly .mp3 and .m4a (not that I've ever heard of an .m4a file before!).
On the side of the page and there is a button called 'Import Errors'. I went into that and it says (for all of the albums 'The MIME type of the file could not be identified'.
Hope this is enough information!
Thanks in advance!!

stchman
January 27th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Hey
I'm a very new user here, and have just installed Ubuntu. I tried this afternoon to open Rhythmbox and it opened, but then I tried to add music to the library, but failed.
The files are mainly .mp3 and .m4a (not that I've ever heard of an .m4a file before!).
On the side of the page and there is a button called 'Import Errors'. I went into that and it says (for all of the albums 'The MIME type of the file could not be identified'.
Hope this is enough information!
Thanks in advance!!

I usually select the Import Folder option. Does all the music play? Rhythmbox will report errors if the music is unplayable. Also it will reject encrypted music files such as those from Apple iTunes.

amandat
January 27th, 2009, 09:52 PM
I used the 'Import Folder' and the 'Import File' options many times, and the box disappeared after I hit 'Open.
I used them mostly in iTunes, but I also used them in Windows Media Player and they worked fine.
When I double-click them in the folder (as in when I go through 'My Computer') they play in Totem Movie Player, and that's only when I have attempted to put them into Rhythmbox. Before that, they don't even show in the files.