PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Which graphics card

matthew price
January 27th, 2009, 07:26 PM
hi everyone im new to the ubuntu forums and am new to this open source thing so i would like to now what graphics card i can use on ubuntu which gives me 3D acceleration with open source drivers :smile:

Frak
January 27th, 2009, 07:47 PM
ATi cards have native open source support from AMD, but if I remember correctly, they don't support the newest cards and you'd need to use the proprietary drivers, which are not as good as, say, the Nvidia proprietary drivers.

Nvidia is fully proprietary, but they have very good Linux support. The general use in this forum is Nvidia. Nouveau drivers are being developed that contain support for the (very) experimental Gallium3D open source 3D driver.

Intel has fully open source drivers, but their cards (always integrated) are not as powerful as those of Nvidia and ATi. Intel would, at least in my opinion, be the winner for Open Source graphics in Linux.

matthew price
January 27th, 2009, 08:06 PM
thanks for the info Frak:D

Frak
January 27th, 2009, 08:10 PM
thanks for the info Frak:D
Aye :D

stchman
January 27th, 2009, 08:16 PM
hi everyone im new to the ubuntu forums and am new to this open source thing so i would like to now what graphics card i can use on ubuntu which gives me 3D acceleration with open source drivers :smile:

Go with Nvidia. I have a 5700 Ultra, 7600GT, and 8800GT. They all work perfectly under Ubuntu.

I cannot comment on the new GTX or 9xxx series cards though. The 8800GT can be had for under $120 USD.