PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Copying disc images

moody_mark
January 27th, 2009, 05:14 PM
I have a Desktop PC at home here which is a fairly ok spec and has a 80GB HDD. Currently its running WindowsXP.

What I would like to do, is get an old say 20GB HDD and copy the windows image across to that then freeing up the 80GB disc to install ubuntu onto. Now I know i can have both on the one disc but I dont want to do that, this is because Ive never been a great fan of partitions with different OS-es Ive always preferred it on a seperate disc (call me old fashioned if you like)

So, providing the space taken by WinXP and all its applications is say 15GB, could I image that from the 80GB disc to the 20GB disc?

Periswell
January 27th, 2009, 05:33 PM
so you say you want to install windows onto the 20gb hdd.

i know how you can do this in ubuntu but not windows. maybe you will have to put ubuntu on the 20hdd and not windows.

russu52
January 27th, 2009, 05:40 PM
i know it's a bit of a hassle bit it would be safer to install windows afresh on the 20 gb hdd, clear wipe the 80 and install ubuntu on it. unless at present on your 80 you have less than 20 gb full and you want to do an entire copy of it onto the 20 gb.

it may and it may not work out. hope it works out for you :)

moody_mark
January 27th, 2009, 06:51 PM
I want to use the 80GB disc for ubuntu. I wondered if, rather than installing there was a utility for copying an image of one disc to another. I dont have a XP install disc you see, and re-installing will mean having to re-install all the windows apps too. There are some apps i use that I need to run windows for (unfortunately)

I guess to image from one disc to another they both have to be of the same size? I dont know.

Thats why I like ubuntu, all the programs you need generally are accessible through the package managers ;)

OffAxis
January 27th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Try using your hard drive manufacturer's utility disk; there's usually a "copy" or "clone" utility in there.

MaxBlast for Maxtor (although sea tools may support them now)

SeaTools for Seagate http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/

Disc Manager for Samsung http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/support/utilities/Support_DiskManager.html