PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Won't turn off.

Roadbloc
January 27th, 2009, 01:56 PM
I have a compaq presario 1700us and whenever i shutdown with ubuntu, it doesn't automaticly switch off the machine, i have to press and hold the power button when i am sure it has finished, and the same with hibernating.

I was just wondering if there was a way to get it to turn off automaticly becuase it is a bit annoying.... :-k

drs305
January 27th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Close all open apps and try running this command, which should shut down and power off your machine in an orderly fashion. If it works you can make a shortcut with the command and put it on the panel although I would continue to try to find a solution as to why it won't shut down with the normal icon.

sudo shutdown -P now

philinux
January 27th, 2009, 02:41 PM
I have a compaq presario 1700us and whenever i shutdown with ubuntu, it doesn't automaticly switch off the machine, i have to press and hold the power button when i am sure it has finished, and the same with hibernating.

I was just wondering if there was a way to get it to turn off automaticly becuase it is a bit annoying.... :-k

How old is the machine. You may need to add acpi=force to the kernel line in grub.

Roadbloc
January 27th, 2009, 04:19 PM
The machine is a pentium compaq presario 1700us. I am afraid i know knothing else.:(

sydbat
January 27th, 2009, 04:25 PM
The machine is a pentium compaq presario 1700us. I am afraid i know knothing else.:(This looks like your machine - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00255606&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=95250

I had a similar problem with an older box...it would never shut off, but would reboot instead, so I had to hold down the power button. Even updating the BIOS did not help. It may be something you have to live with...sorry.