PDA

View Full Version : [other] looking for a journal/diary application that can graph data

alex34567
January 27th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Hello,

I'm reasonably new to the Linux scene and am not particularly tech savvy. At the moment I'm searching for a journal/diary type application that will also allow me to create data fields and then generate graphs from that data so that I can see how the values change over time. Can anybody tell me if such an application exists? Thanks in advance.

Alex.

istoff
January 27th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Hello.

Any reason why you can't use Calc in openoffice?

I assume you have many data points and you want to use a date range of some kind to limit the views?

Try http://www.gnuplot.info/ to see if gnuplot meets your needs. Googling for Linux graph plot should get you many more alternatives.

Good luck.

alex34567
January 27th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. Google and Wikipedia gave me more options than I can shake a stick at, so I thought I'd ask first to see if anyone could recommend something for my specific requirements.

I should really elaborate: Ideally what I would like to end up with is the x-axis of the graph as a linear timeline and the change in the variables plotted against the y-axis. The readings will not be taken at consistent intervals - as an example: on the 1st of February, the 4th and 10th of March, the 6th of July, etc... and I would like the interval between readings to be apparent in the way the graph is rendered. So far, I do not see a way to do this with Calc but that could easily be as a result of my inexperience with the application. I'll check out Gnuplot. Thanks again.