PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Pidgin won't connect to AIM

January 27th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Hi everyone,

I havent used pidgin in a while but when i tried to sign on today it started fine but when it was connecting it lagged for a while and then eventually said that "username" disconnected could not connect to authentication server: connection timed out. now i have no idea what to do. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks to everyone in advance

mhh91
January 27th, 2009, 08:25 AM
maybe it's something with your connection

a weak connection to the internet causes this sometimes,or maybe the server is busy,or even unavailable

January 27th, 2009, 08:29 AM
I dont think that i could be the connection, I am at about 80-100% connection and its on a high speed connection. I couldnt imagine the entire AIM server going down... Any other ideas?

mhh91
January 27th, 2009, 11:56 AM
try kopete for a change?

talsemgeest
January 27th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Does it happen every time, and are you having problems with any other net-aware programs?

January 27th, 2009, 08:21 PM
I tried kopete and thats not working either. same thing... it just says connecting... indefinately and then after a few minutes says "username" disconnected unknown error. Everything else that uses the internet works just fine. Its just AIM related things.

LowSky
January 27th, 2009, 08:23 PM
you say your on a wireless connection, does the same thing happen if your connected by wire?

Also are you running any other applications while trying to start AIM?

January 27th, 2009, 08:34 PM
This is really strange... It works just fine under a wired connection but when wireless it does not... Even though I have full strength connection on a high speed cable line. Would there be some way to remedy this? I normally dont sit anywhere near an ethernet cord lol.

Thanks for your help so far!

normally Im running firefox or maybe songbird too. It all depends but I just verified that it doesnt matter what other programs are running at the time it still doesnt wanna play nice with my wireless...

talsemgeest
January 28th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Since the problem is with the wireless networking and not the program, try setting up your connection using wicd (http://wicd.sourceforge.net/). I have not tried it, but I hear that it is a superior replacement for the ubuntu network manager.

Muffinabus
January 28th, 2009, 12:14 AM
I dont think that i could be the connection, I am at about 80-100% connection and its on a high speed connection. I couldnt imagine the entire AIM server going down... Any other ideas?

I do remember a time a few years ago where the entire AIM servers did go down (: Not ENTIRELY implausible!

XanTrax
January 28th, 2009, 12:39 AM
You could be denying all ports and only allowing web traffic through port 80. AIM uses 5190. I have seen wireless blocking connections to all ports except 80 before. Wired, everything was unblocked.

January 28th, 2009, 05:10 AM
I figured out the problem. Sorry it took me so long to get back but the university was having issues with its system... the domain server went down and everythigns been screwed up lately. I got it fixed for me at least and everyhting works swimmingly. Thanks for all of your help everyone!

P.S. I would love to mark it solved but for some reason mark as solved isnt under the thread tools anymore... strange

XanTrax
January 28th, 2009, 05:16 AM
P.S. I would love to mark it solved but for some reason mark as solved isnt under the thread tools anymore... strange

Ya, and I cant seem to find thanks anymore either :( lol

talsemgeest
January 28th, 2009, 05:49 AM

Ya, and I cant seem to find thanks anymore either :( lol

Yes, both the thanks and [solved] plugins have been temporarily disabled, until the forums are stable again.

XanTrax
January 28th, 2009, 05:55 AM
Yes, both the thanks and [solved] plugins have been temporarily disabled, until the forums are stable again.

Didnt realize they were unstable :neutral:

talsemgeest
January 28th, 2009, 06:03 AM
Didnt realize they were unstable :neutral:
Take a look here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1039481) for more info.

XanTrax
January 28th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Take a look here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1039481) for more info.

Thanks. I just recently started hanging around so I missed that :p

talsemgeest
January 28th, 2009, 06:40 AM
Thanks. I just recently started hanging around so I missed that :p
No problem. :D