PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Lime Mockup

oblivian516
January 27th, 2009, 04:31 AM
Iv decided to create a theme, so here is my alpha mockup. It includes a launcher in the task bar. Also the wallpaper ISNT MINE! I just used the background image then added some detail.

original wallpaper is located here (http://zone13.digitalgrafis.com/files/intelmac_red_16001024_notxt.jpg)

Please rate :D

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k420/picture516/screenshot-2.png

Here is the first try at the UI:

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k420/picture516/screenshot_ui.png

First window :D!! :

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k420/picture516/screenshot_ui-1.png

After forevers I came up with a few really simple controls, I do think the buttons came out quite nice tho:

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k420/picture516/screenshot_ui-3.png

sarath_it
January 27th, 2009, 05:20 AM
Sweet, can you show menus and others ui elements?

oblivian516
January 27th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Added a screen of UI

(all credit goes to the breathe icon submissions (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/BreatheIconSet/Submissions))

Crafty Kisses
January 27th, 2009, 07:36 AM
Very nice mockup my friend. :)

smartboyathome
January 27th, 2009, 07:52 AM
I recommend making the menu look like it is attached to the button where it comes from. Right now, it looks like it is in its own window.

Sand & Mercury
January 27th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Looks nice. Ironically enough I think it would be much easier to implement in KDE than GNOME.

kostkon
January 27th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Veeeery nice!

piousp
January 27th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Looks nice. Ironically enough I think it would be much easier to implement in KDE than GNOME.

Would be nice for KDE!

NullHead
January 27th, 2009, 05:49 PM
/me likes it

I agree with smartboyathome. The menu should look like it's part of the menu instead of a window.

oblivian516
January 27th, 2009, 11:08 PM
wow :D I wasnt expecting anyone to like it :p

Ima connecting the menu and making it rectangular, Il also make some other small changes.

Thanks
~Dave

KodeBurner
January 28th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Nice .. I Like It .. :)

oblivian516
January 28th, 2009, 12:17 AM
I added picture of first window for review. :D Im still very far away from implementing it into a real theme tho :(

graabein
January 28th, 2009, 09:48 AM
I also like it! Here are my thoughts:

Much better with a rectangular menu.
I hope you will edit out the Ubuntu Lime text on the wallpaper.
The control buttons look great but I think the scrollbar and the window frame buttons could be improved on.
Default application menu reads Applications Places System. ;)
The icon set looks fantastic.

Argama
January 28th, 2009, 03:36 PM
I realy like it, looks clean and nice. Like the dock integrated in the bar.

sarath_it
January 28th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Terrifico! All in for making this default in Juanty!!

Izek
January 28th, 2009, 07:30 PM
I don't really care for it much. One reason for that is you make it look like it requires compositing to be on.

smartboyathome
January 28th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Terrifico! All in for making this default in Juanty!!

Can't, it isn't an actual theme, only a mockup.

Merk42
January 29th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Wow only one negative response so far. Not saying you're "wrong" Izek, as it's impossible to make a theme to please 100% of users, just surprising the percentage is so high right now.

For those more familiar with theming, just how possible is this theme?
Is an alpha channel ONLY possible with composting? Does compositing require a 3d card?

butlins
January 29th, 2009, 01:38 AM
Nice brainstorm

Looks a little too advanced for gnome tho,

oblivian516
January 29th, 2009, 03:26 AM
Wow only one negative response so far. Not saying you're "wrong" Izek, as it's impossible to make a theme to please 100% of users, just surprising the percentage is so high right now.

I know! I was extremely surprised as well!!

After much deliberation Iv decided to carry this project over to kde in hopes of making this a real theme!

Il get pics up of first kde shot, right after I replace ma windows 7 (not a bad os, but ubuntu is way better xD ) with a nice copy for kubuntu :D

mhh91
January 29th, 2009, 03:29 AM
Nice brainstorm

Looks a little too advanced for gnome tho,

maybe we'll get to see it in gnome 3 :D

nice mockup ;)

smartboyathome
January 29th, 2009, 06:22 AM
For those more familiar with theming, just how possible is this theme?

The window border can be done now, but not the program menu for reasons detailed below.

Is an alpha channel ONLY possible with composting?

Yes it is. Unless you go into psuedo compositing, which doesn't really implement this correctly imo.

Does compositing require a 3d card?

Not unless you go with 3D compositing (which is being used most now). There is still xcompmgr which doesn't require one, but it only does the basics.

Knark
January 29th, 2009, 08:00 AM
It looks really great :) Would love to use it and actually i like the menu as it is now.

hirumono
February 1st, 2009, 03:41 PM
Wonderful mockup!! I really hope it makes its way to a full theme (though I don't use KDE, so it would have to be ported if possible). My two cents about it:

- the colors and style are just what Ubuntu would need. Fresh and stylish, yet simple! 10 out of 10.
- the detached menus are WONDERFUL! It's a very original and modern approach, as opposed to the old boring concept of connecting elements sequentially; please consider leaving them as they are, or at least making a version with detached menus. Who cares about not seeing what button they belong to? When I'm using an UI I know what menu I selected, and moreover I can see its subitems so I surely won't get lost. But if by all means you had to connect them, I'd suggest encircling the menu button with a rounded box just like the menu window, and connecting the two boxes with just a line. Neat and stylish!

I hope your mockup becomes a real theme. Good work!

lyceum
February 1st, 2009, 05:55 PM
Love the wallpaper. That is how to make orange look good! I do not think the coffee menu/tool bars go with it very well though. Personally, I would make them clearer so the wallpaper has the focus. MHO