PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot see my Ubuntu shares in XP

Kim Siever
January 27th, 2009, 04:08 AM
Hi everyone,

Longtime lurker, first time poster. Go easy on me.

I have been using Ubuntu for about a year now. I am using it to share music and photos (and eventually our printer).

Here's my problem:

1. I can see my Macbook and XP shares in Ubuntu.
2. I can see my Ubuntu and XP shares on my Macbook.
3. I cannot see Ubuntu or Macbook shares on my XP.

I have tried browsing to the shares using Windows Explorer, but they do not show up. I've tried typing the names of the shares into Window Explorer's address bar, but I get an error saying that "Windows cannot find [share name]". I type in the IP address of the shares, and I get the error "Windows cannot find [IP address]". When I click on "View workgroup computers", all I get is a system beep.

I can ping the IP addresses successfully in the commmand prompt. I have ensured that Client for Microsoft Networks, TCP/IP, and File and Print Sharing for Microsoft Networks are installed and checked. I even turned off the XP firewall. I am not using Norton, ZoneAlarm or any similar third-party firewall software. I use AVG for virus protection.

I will be in debt forever to anyone who helps me finally beat this problem, which has been haunting me for months. And my children will love you since they can finally download music to the MP3 players they got for Christmas.

Thanks in advance.

Iowan
January 27th, 2009, 04:31 AM
Are the three machines in the same workgroup? Did you install Samba-server (usually just called Samba) to share FROM Ubuntu? Did you try smb://<IP-of-Windows-box>/<Windows-sharename> in the Location bar on Ubuntu?

Kim Siever
January 27th, 2009, 04:34 AM
Yes, they are all in the same workgroup. Samba is installed.

I don't have a problem connect from Ubuntu to XP. It's the other way around that doesn't work. I can see Ubuntu from my Mac.

Iowan
January 27th, 2009, 05:16 AM
Oops - I'm misreading things again... For some reason, I read all three lines as "I cannot see". So XP cannot (or will not) read from other machines...

cariboo
January 27th, 2009, 05:41 AM
Have you tried setting up a new Network Place in Windows? What version of XP are you using, Home or Pro?

Jim

Kim Siever
January 27th, 2009, 06:14 AM
So XP cannot (or will not) read from other machines...

Correct.

Have you tried setting up a new Network Place in Windows? What version of XP are you using, Home or Pro?

Yes, I have. When I try, it says, "Windows requires a share to publish to."

I am using XP Home.

syko21
January 27th, 2009, 07:54 AM
it might not like viewing them directly but try putting a line like this directly into the address bar of an explorer window (not internet explorer)

\\UBUNTU_MACHINE_NAME\SHARE_NAME

I don't know how to format that to include a username / pw if it is a locked share, but windows might prompt it from you automatically.

Kim Siever
January 27th, 2009, 03:55 PM
it might not like viewing them directly but try putting a line like this directly into the address bar of an explorer window (not internet explorer)

I have tried that, as per my first post, but I may not have made it clear. When I try that, I get a "Windows cannot find [share name]".

Another Monkey
January 27th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Is your Windows firewall allowing file and printer sharing? This is disabled by default in the standard MS firewall, third party ones will differ; check your documentation.

Have you made sure the firewall on Ubuntu is allowing through the SMB data from Windows? This link (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=190542&highlight=samba+windows+unauthorized+access) explains what to do and why.

If that does not help, then you may have to go through the pain I had in order to get Windows to work (my networking was messed up). A very helpful site is here (http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm) (fill out the form).

Get a copy of the "browstat" utility (http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005/05/browstat-utility-from-microsoft.html), open a command prompt and try

browstat status

You should get something like

Browsing is active on domain.
Master browser name is:....

If you see "Browsing is NOT active on domain" or "No master browser", then your "Computer browser" service on Windows is either not running or has some other problem. You need to sort that (see link above).

Back at the command prompt, try this

net view

Did that list the Ubuntu PC? A common problem is "error 6118", see my comment about "Computer Browser" above. If it worked, then try this

net view \\ubuntu-pc-name

If that does not work, then Windows cannot browse the shares (although it knows the PC is there from the first command). The error I had was "error 53" and it turned out to be the "iptables" configuration in Ubuntu blocking the SMB data, which is all explained in the first link.

I managed to get my networking and shares working last night, so this is all fresh in my mind.

Kim Siever
January 28th, 2009, 02:39 AM
Is your Windows firewall allowing file and printer sharing? This is disabled by default in the standard MS firewall, third party ones will differ; check your documentation.

Yes. In fact, I even restored the firewall to default settings and rechecked the File and Printer Sharing checbox.

Have you made sure the firewall on Ubuntu is allowing through the SMB data from Windows? This link (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=190542&highlight=samba+windows+unauthorized+access) explains what to do and why.

Would that be different from the SMB data from Mac OS X?

If that does not help, then you may have to go through the pain I had in order to get Windows to work (my networking was messed up). A very helpful site is here (http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm) (fill out the form).

I filled out all the applicable form fields, but nothing happened when I pressed "Shoe relevant chapters". Am I doing something wrong?

Get a copy of the "browstat" utility (http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005/05/browstat-utility-from-microsoft.html), open a command prompt and try

browstat status

You should get something like

Browsing is active on domain.
Master browser name is:....

If you see "Browsing is NOT active on domain" or "No master browser", then your "Computer browser" service on Windows is either not running or has some other problem. You need to sort that (see link above).

I did get an error. Which link helps me with this? I tried both of the links above and did not see anything to get Computer Browser Service running.

Back at the command prompt, try this

net view

Did that list the Ubuntu PC? A common problem is "error 6118", see my comment about "Computer Browser" above. If it worked, then try this

net view \\ubuntu-pc-name

If that does not work, then Windows cannot browse the shares (although it knows the PC is there from the first command). The error I had was "error 53" and it turned out to be the "iptables" configuration in Ubuntu blocking the SMB data, which is all explained in the first link.

When I try to run this, it says the workstation service has not been started.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me with this. I should mention that I am an intermediate computer user, and have no formal training in networking or hardware servicing.

Kim Siever
January 28th, 2009, 03:00 AM

Hmmmm. I don't see a firestarter directory in /etc/ and nothing when I search, so I'm not sure this link will help much.

Kim Siever
January 28th, 2009, 03:56 AM
I sort of got it working.

If I type "NET START WORKSTATION" into the command prompt, I can view all computers on the workgroup.

When I restart the computer, however, I can no longer view the computers, and I have to enter "NET START WORKSTATION" into the command prompt.

Does anyone know how I can keep it running?

Noour
January 28th, 2009, 04:30 AM
I think it s because of the difference NetBEUI versus TCP/IP sharing

One old link where they suggest Remove NetBEUI

From http://oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/ch03_01.html

Second for more recent OS [there were some changes :D ]

http://www.ezlan.net/netbeui.html

NetBEUI is simple protocol that is based on local computers names (no IPs addresses like TCP/IP).

Kim Siever
January 28th, 2009, 06:32 AM
I got it working using Computer Management, and made sure the Workstation service was set up to start automatically.

Thanks everyone for your help. You helped point me in the right direction.

Another Monkey
January 28th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Hi Kim,

I was going to write a long reply and then noticed you last post. Glad to see you got it working (Windows networking seems to be a black art at times!)

Might be best to mark this thread as "[SOLVED]" so people know (and other can find tips on what to do).

aM

Kim Siever
January 28th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Might be best to mark this thread as "[SOLVED]" so people know (and other can find tips on what to do).

How would I do that exactly? When I tried to edit original post, I didn't see an option to edit the subject.

Iowan
January 28th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Until the forum started having some stability issues, there was a medal to give thanks to those posts you found useful, and under Thread Tools (near first post on page) was an option to "Mark Thread as Solved". Both features are currently disabled - time will tell if they return.