PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dreamweaver and HTML

lonewolf1222
January 27th, 2009, 01:01 AM
I am starting a web design class where they use dreamweaver and HTML. Can you use those things on Ubuntu?

jpoRS
January 27th, 2009, 01:38 AM
Since Dreamweaver is proprietary software (Adobe, right?) you will have to pay for it for any platform. If I recall correctly it is QUITE expensive (a couple hundred dollars). Currently there is no Linux option offered by Adobe, and I doubt that there will be any time soon. In theory though, if you wanted to sink the money into it I bet you can get it working with WINE, but unless you have that kind of cash to throw around, I wouldn't advise it.

I am sure that there are plenty of quality open-source alternatives, but the fact is that the controls won't be the same as Dreamweaver. Other people can help you find those, try searching these forums for "Dreamweaver alternative"

As for HTML, what are you looking for? Something to read HTML? That is every web browser.

Good luck,
jim

abyssius
January 27th, 2009, 02:08 AM
I am starting a web design class where they use dreamweaver and HTML. Can you use those things on Ubuntu?

All you need is a text editor to learn HTML. Some versions of Dreamweaver are reported to work on Linux using Wine. However, as the other post points out, Dreamweaver is expensive. If you're taking a course in Dreamweaver, I think you'll have to use Windows or a MAC. Once you learn the Dreamweaver workflow you'll be pretty much stuck with using it until you become advanced enough to develop your own web design methodology. There is nothing wrong with this. Dreamweaver is probably the best WYSIWYG web design software. I wish there was a Linux equivalent. But, so far, I haven't found one.

MrWES
January 27th, 2009, 02:25 AM
All you need is a text editor to learn HTML. Some versions of Dreamweaver are reported to work on Linux using Wine. However, as the other post points out, Dreamweaver is expensive. If you're taking a course in Dreamweaver, I think you'll have to use Windows or a MAC. Once you learn the Dreamweaver workflow you'll be pretty much stuck with using it until you become advanced enough to develop your own web design methodology. There is nothing wrong with this. Dreamweaver is probably the best WYSIWYG web design software. I wish there was a Linux equivalent. But, so far, I haven't found one.

Dreamweaver will run in a Windows XP Virtualbox.

cptr13
January 27th, 2009, 02:28 AM
Kompozer is decent. Not up to par with Dreamweaver, but will do the job.

Crafty Kisses
January 27th, 2009, 02:44 AM
I've always liked Bluefish, never had a problem with it.

abyssius
January 27th, 2009, 03:04 AM
I've always liked Bluefish, never had a problem with it.

I've tried Amaya, Screem, Bluefish and Kompozer. Amaya crashes my computer for some reason. I have an unnatural aversion to programs beginning with K. Bluefish reminds me a little of MS Front Page. I'd love to see an application with Dreamweaver's seamless transitions between coding and accurate WYSIWYG, and CSS support. However, I agree Bluefish is definitely usable. Dreamweaver, Flash and having to test websites in IE still keeps me in the Windows world for web design. I hate when clients request Flash sites or banner ads - but what can you do? You gotta make a living...

abyssius
January 27th, 2009, 03:11 AM
Dreamweaver will run in a Windows XP Virtualbox.

I keep my Linux Computers and Windows Computers completely separate. May I will try to set up an XP virtualbox. I just googled it on the web. I'm not a linux expert (only a 1 year user at this point). But, I dream of the day when I won't need Windows anymore... Right now, I can't get rid of that last 10%...

abyssius
January 27th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Kompozer is decent. Not up to par with Dreamweaver, but will do the job.

I need something that is up to par with Dreamweaver (and Flash) so I can get rid of Windows altogether.

bruce89
January 27th, 2009, 03:55 AM
I need something that is up to par with Dreamweaver (and Flash) so I can get rid of Windows altogether.

Incidentally, there is a multiquote button (the one right of the normal quote button).

There have been some unstable releases of Bluefish recently, so perhaps it will improve.

blueridgedog
January 27th, 2009, 04:21 AM
I've tried Amaya, Screem, Bluefish and Kompozer. Amaya crashes my computer for some reason. I have an unnatural aversion to programs beginning with K. Bluefish reminds me a little of MS Front Page. I'd love to see an application with Dreamweaver's seamless transitions between coding and accurate WYSIWYG, and CSS support. However, I agree Bluefish is definitely usable. Dreamweaver, Flash and having to test websites in IE still keeps me in the Windows world for web design. I hate when clients request Flash sites or banner ads - but what can you do? You gotta make a living...

My take on website development is pretty much still text based and especially with web 2.0 and dynamic content. Most of the big iron type work I see out now is all php or heavy javascript building into and AJAX implementation with some superset of libraries (Ruby on rails, jquery). Check out some of Reuven's work in his "At the Forge" column in Linux Journal:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/googlesearch?cx=014164207538395607518%3Aw82fvojcgc u&cof=FORID%3A11&as_q=at+the+forge&sa=Search#995