PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Berly

Gurgle monster
January 26th, 2009, 07:31 PM
I've finnaly had the chance to install linux, ive wanted to for ages. Looking at the youtube videos it seems Beryl for ubuntu is a must have. Although at the beryl site, the link to how to install it on ubunta is broken. Does anybidy know of a working link or can explain on how to set it up?. BTW, loving Ubuntu, where has it been all my life?!?!.

sarath_it
January 26th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Its now compiz fusion.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompositeManager/CompizFusion

search compiz fusion in forums.

Gurgle monster
January 26th, 2009, 08:11 PM
I am runnin version 8.10. This tutorial mentions a diffrent version. Will it still work?

stchman
January 26th, 2009, 08:20 PM
I've finnaly had the chance to install linux, ive wanted to for ages. Looking at the youtube videos it seems Beryl for ubuntu is a must have. Although at the beryl site, the link to how to install it on ubunta is broken. Does anybidy know of a working link or can explain on how to set it up?. BTW, loving Ubuntu, where has it been all my life?!?!.

What kind of video card do you have? Compiz is installed by default on Hardy and later.

Gurgle monster
January 26th, 2009, 08:40 PM
I have a ATI readion x600, Its i kind of old PC. ANyway i think i may have run into a bigger problem. I was reading on how to install programs. It told me to open up the package manager. But when i try to do this i get the error

E: Type ‘Uncomment’ is not known on line 31 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list
E: The list of sources could not be read.
Go to the repository dialogue to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

xc1024
January 26th, 2009, 08:53 PM
compiz fusion is already installed on your ubuntu. you just need to install compiz-manager.
"uncomment" means to remove the # sign before entry of sources.list.

// EDIT. you need open sources.list on a text editor with root privileges. else you can't write to sources.list.