PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] A few problems with movie player and web broswer

ericeclifford
January 26th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Hey guys, I just recently burned a Live CD of 8.10. Just using a USB disk atm for saving material and whatknot, but I ran into a few problem.

1. When I go into my google documents, the spreadsheet isnt working(web browser is not up to date, any detail instructions on how to fix this easy). Also saids I need to install GTK or GPK for it to install.

2. When i put in a movie(DVD) the totem player saids I need to implement the DVD's URl, is this player non Dvd movie able? or am I doing something wrong. I heard of VLC and SMSplayer and realplayer and mplayer are these better players?

wolfen69
January 26th, 2009, 05:14 PM
running from the live cd, you will not have multimedia playback. if you have enough memory, (ram) you will be able to download and use the codecs you need, but all settings will be lost after a reboot, forcing you to start all over again.

Here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats) is how to set up restricted formats.

ericeclifford
January 26th, 2009, 08:08 PM
I am wondering though it wont let me install firefox 2.0 for some reason I click the updater and the extracted contents are saved to a usb disk. I have firefox 3.0 and when I try to open that it saids i dont have the GPK2 8.10 program or something of that nature, so when I dl'ed firefox and extracted it to my usb disk it wont let me update my current vers. that came with 8.10 by default, anyone know why or how I can instill this thing.