PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Limewire Package installer error

lonewolf1222
January 26th, 2009, 04:02 PM
I am trying to download Limewire. When I get into the Package installer I get a error message saying only one management tool is allowed to run at the same time. I am not running anything else. I did restart my computer and tried it. It still says the same thing. :confused:

taurus
January 26th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Maybe the update-manager is checking for update in the background. Open a terminal and see if you can spot anything from the output of this command.

Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal

ps -A

russu52
January 26th, 2009, 04:06 PM
did you download the linux version? then try right click and select open with package installer

lonewolf1222
January 27th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Ok I got it. Thanks!

airforceyooper
February 4th, 2009, 05:25 PM
I'm having the same issue. The only thing I see that looks like it could be causing issues from the ps -A is an update notifier which I stopped that process and still am unable to install limewire. My goal for this year is to learn much more about ubuntu, but for now, I'm ubuntu illiterate. :( Any help will be much appreciated. :)

taurus
February 4th, 2009, 05:27 PM
I'm having the same issue. The only thing I see that looks like it could be causing issues from the ps -A is an update notifier which I stopped that process and still am unable to install limewire. My goal for this year is to learn much more about ubuntu, but for now, I'm ubuntu illiterate. :( Any help will be much appreciated. :)

What is the exact command that you use to install limewire?

Post the output of this command.

ps -A

airforceyooper
February 4th, 2009, 05:35 PM
What is the exact command that you use to install limewire?

Post the output of this command.

ps -A

I used the right click and "Open with GDebi package installer"

airforceyooper
February 4th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Another issue that may be causing me issues with my limewire install is another error message I get when trying to do regular udates ... it reads,

"E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

not sure what's up with that. Could that be causing me problems?

taurus
February 4th, 2009, 05:41 PM

sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

webmiester
February 4th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Hi,

Have you tried Frostwire? It's practically like Limewire for linux :) If you have problems with limewire, I recommend you look up frostwire :)

airforceyooper
February 4th, 2009, 06:05 PM

sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

I tried these commands to no avail. same issues as before. I found frostwire, but the same install issues exist. Somehow I need to correct this other problem first I think. I need to buy a book on ubuntu or something. I really want to learn this. I'd love to be windows free by the end of the year if possible. Are there classes a person can attend for ubuntu/linux? Seminars maybe?

taurus
February 4th, 2009, 06:12 PM
I tried these commands to no avail. same issues as before. I found frostwire, but the same install issues exist. Somehow I need to correct this other problem first I think. I need to buy a book on ubuntu or something. I really want to learn this. I'd love to be windows free by the end of the year if possible. Are there classes a person can attend for ubuntu/linux? Seminars maybe?

Can you post the exact error message when you ran the first command? Does it complain about another process running? Do you have synaptic, add/remove, or update manager currently open?

airforceyooper
February 4th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Can you post the exact error message when you ran the first command? Does it complain about another process running? Do you have synaptic, add/remove, or update manager currently open?

I'm sorry, I think I figured out what I did wrong. I just had laser eye surgery on Saturday so everything is very blurry and difficult to focus on. I missed the line that asked for my password. Sorry about that. :)

airforceyooper
February 4th, 2009, 06:22 PM
I'm sorry, I think I figured out what I did wrong. I just had laser eye surgery on Saturday so everything is very blurry and difficult to focus on. I missed the line that asked for my password. Sorry about that. :)

Awesome! Frostwire is up and running. :) Thanks guys Have a great afternoon.