PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can I use OpenOffice presentation with MS Office?

maduranga
January 26th, 2009, 03:56 PM
I'm going to make a presentation with the extention as ppt using OpenOffice. I have to deliver the presentation using a pc with MS Office.

Will it work properly on that pc with MS office?
What if I use images and openoffice templates to make my presentation?

Thanks in advance!

asmodeuzz
January 26th, 2009, 03:59 PM
i think it will work, it is compatibel if the extension is same (i mean .ppt)

empty_spaces
January 26th, 2009, 04:02 PM
It should open up fine as long as yo save it in ppt format, but you might want to use fonts that are both windows and linux friendly. Otherwise your formatting might not look right in powerpoint.

nlz
January 26th, 2009, 04:02 PM
if you finished your presentation, go to file > save as

Then save as powerpoint presentation. Then it will work.

95/100 cases everything is fine, some templates, pictures, lay-out things can turn out a bit different. So go through your slides before you do your presentation.

Good luck!

nlz
January 26th, 2009, 04:03 PM
It should open up fine as long as yo save it in ppt format, but you might want to use fonts that are both windows and linux friendly. Otherwise your formatting might not look right in powerpoint.

reacted in the same time.. Using windows fonts is indeed a jolly good idea.

russu52
January 26th, 2009, 04:04 PM
or else...
1. download and install openoffice portable for windows on a memory stick (www.portableapps.com)
2. export your ppt as pdf, and use it on any pc (but any transition effects are lost)

maduranga
January 26th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the all replies!

-kg-
January 26th, 2009, 06:26 PM
The Open Office portable sounds like the ticket to me. You would be able to load it and your presentation (done with OO Impress in it's native format) to a flash drive and run it off the computer that you're doing your presentation from without having to go through the hassle of converting it to MS Office Presentation format and hoping that everything converted correctly.