PDA

View Full Version : [other] C programming newbie-help needed for compiler to a good book for self study

deepclutch
January 26th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Hello friends ,
I have no base in mathematics(first of all).still ,I am trying to learn C programming.I would like to learn C by using gcc compiler(no GUI).I know to use Vi Editor BTW.
Is there any text book that exists which is recommended for someone who is not from Technical field(read computers)?e-books or wiki links are very much welcome.I dont want to learn books like Kernighan & Ritchie kind of.I cannot understand anything from it.

So ,Please share your sources.also ,please show me the basic way of compiling C codes using gcc.I am yet to learn hello world BTW

Thanks All.

mrbiggbrain
January 26th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Hello friends ,
I have no base in mathematics(first of all).still ,I am trying to learn C programming.I would like to learn C by using gcc compiler(no GUI).I know to use Vi Editor BTW.
Is there any text book that exists which is recommended for someone who is not from Technical field(read computers)?e-books or wiki links are very much welcome.I dont want to learn books like Kernighan & Ritchie kind of.I cannot understand anything from it.

So ,Please share your sources.also ,please show me the basic way of compiling C codes using gcc.I am yet to learn hello world BTW

Thanks All.

are we talking stright c? or c++? they really are 2 ways of thinking, i program in c++ and i find that the object oriented style is far more like human thought. i would not want to live without my c++ classes, and with the new standard comeing, SMP will be alot easier, as well as working with strings in c++ is a little...easier.

also know, when you learn c++ all code you learn from c is applicable, but the reverse is not always true. however the kernel is a c-only world. i know c (such as printf() scanf() ect) and you can apply the concepts of c++ to c, but they are 2 diffrent fronts.

deepclutch
January 26th, 2009, 06:16 AM
I want C only.no C++ at this time although I know oops is a benefit for C++ .so ,C at this time.So ,some help:
Hello friends ,

Thanks All.

--
then there is objective C :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Objective-C

mrbiggbrain
January 26th, 2009, 06:21 AM
oops is easier in c++, the same concepts can be applied in OOPS-C its just not clean, more Kludgy, drawn-out, messy, yet effective, thats common in C.

http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial.html#ctutorial

i used this site for my c++ learning, its a good introduction so you can grow after...get the basics right the first time.