PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Organize data between differant operating systems

whazzzzzup17
January 26th, 2009, 03:00 AM
Basically I have only multi-booted a couple times and im trying to find a productive way on organizing my data between each operating system. I have made an extra partition to store "Data", such as programs like Firefox,aim,etc... Which is label "Drive D"

However it as been a hassle to share between different systems such as xp home,xp ultimate,vista ultimate,Linux Ubuntu 8.10. For example I'll install "Mozilla Firefox" on one operating system(Windows Xp Professional) and I will install it into a dictionary on my "Data" partition such as "D: Program Files/Browsers/Mozilla Firefox".

Everything works fine so I edit my Firefox to my settings. However, if I restart my computer and load up a different operating system on start up, my "profiles/information/settings" will be missing and it will only be accessible if I load up the operating system in which I installed it from.

Quote:
Note: When I mean "not accessible" I mean that the settings I had on the previous operating system are gone, and I would have to manually do it over again" I can still load Firefox by navigating to my "Data" partition (D: Program Files/Browsers/Mozilla Firefox/Firefox.exe), its just that all the settings are back to default, and I can only get them back if I load the operating system that I installed them on.
I did find away around this, and it was to navigate to "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data" and simply just coping the application folder to each of my operating systems partitions. This case doesn't work for all applications though. Such as Aim.

Is there a better way of doing this? For example changing the application data to be stored on the "Data Drive" with the rest on my installations? Is there other folders that save program data? Would you suggest a different way on storing data between different operating systems when multi-booting/dual-booting?

All suggestions will help a lot. Thanks

overdrank
January 26th, 2009, 05:31 AM
Duplicate Here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1050600) Thread closed