PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Is Quanta Plus or Komposer the best Adobe Dreamweaver replacement?

lotharjade
January 26th, 2009, 01:52 AM
I use Dreamweaver at work, and want to know of a good similar software web design tool to replace it at home on my Ubuntu system. I know that BlueGriffon is still being developed, but what about Quanta Plus and Komposer? Is one of these a good Dreamweaver replacement? Is there a better option? Which one is more closely associated with Ubuntu? I am looking for your help to find what most people think is the best replacement for Dreamweaver (and no, I don't want to just use a text editor).

One feature I would especially like is something that is equivalent to the Dreamweaver site management tool site synchronization as part of that program. It would be nice to have webDAV and a version control system as part of the system as well. :KS

diablo75
January 26th, 2009, 01:54 AM
You could just run Dreamweaver on WINE. Last I heard, CS3 works without a hitch. Just install WINE via Applications>Add/Remove..., then install Dreamweaver as usual, just like you would in Windows. Piece of cake.

lotharjade
January 26th, 2009, 01:56 AM
I was looking for a Linux alternative. Such is why I use Ubuntu.

snova
January 26th, 2009, 02:06 AM
I've never used Dreamweaver, and as such have no idea of its capabilities, but I'd say no. I know of nothing that can come close to it.

diablo75
January 26th, 2009, 03:55 AM
I've never used Dreamweaver, and as such have no idea of its capabilities, but I'd say no. I know of nothing that can come close to it.

As far as I know, Dreamweaver is a one of a kind piece of software that has yet to be matched or even mildly challenged in by the open-source community. Short of being a grand master of HTML/CSS/PHP and other languages, you won't find much (if anything) else out there that can do what it does. Gimp and Photoshop are much more comparable than Dreamweaver is to... just about anything else.

igknighted
January 26th, 2009, 04:17 AM
If you are using it for work, I would imagine you have a pretty good knowledge of html/css/javascript and don't need the WYSIWYG editor. I would try Screem or Bluefish, as they are the most comparable short of the WYSIWYG.