PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What variety of raid is this and can I not use it?

ranch hand
January 25th, 2009, 11:57 PM
I want to try and have 2 HDDs in my box. I want them to be separate and independant.

Running a Dell XPS 420 w/A04 BIOS. In BIOS there is this;

RAID Autodetect / ATA= RAID if signed drives, otherwise ATA
RAID On= SATA is configured for RAID on every boot.

The factory default setting is RAID on.

Note that changing this setting will change how the drives are listed. The information for the drives will not reflect these changes until after a reboot.

The setting is on. This does not bother external SATA drives and I could go that way. I have one now.

I have 2 new WD 320Gb HDDs coming and would like to install them internally.

What is the meaning of "signed drives"?

Basically - What the heck do I have here and am I stuck with it?
Thanks

jerrrys
January 26th, 2009, 02:18 AM
i think this will help answer your questions:
http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/pdf/Archive/Alt/alt.sys.pc-clone.dell/2008-10/msg00088.pdf
and http://books.google.com/books?id=IPs3KlNfXOIC&pg=RA3-PA217&lpg=RA3-PA217&dq=signed+drives&source=web&ots=VHT-wh_6Fk&sig=zkTz58tu_bKXkHrZfnpsJ08wCFc&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=4&ct=result
Billings, Mt...

ranch hand
January 26th, 2009, 06:03 AM
Billings Mt! That is the eastern border of Mt, at least to the folks in Helena.

Billings is our nearest BIG town. Only 175 miles. I have been there 2 times in the past 8.5 years. Wife has been several times (3-4 a year).

I see what the signed stuff is about now but my PDF reader is not handling that file at all.

But this must be some sort of fake RAID and I should be able to disable it without hurting the HDD that is installed. This would be nice. It may get moved out into an enclosure.

ranch hand
January 26th, 2009, 06:21 AM
The PDF problem was resolved. I don't know what type of RAID was configured for this box. My wife bought it at Walmart in Miles City. Came with a Samsung 320Gb hdd. There are 2 trays for Hdds, 2 power supplies and only 1 data cable (i got another and am trying to figure out where the best place to plug it into the MB is as there are several options.

I buy WD because I like them. The Samsung is in the external enclosure with Mandriva, Hardy and Intrepid on it.

jerrrys
January 26th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Helena! Havent been there in 10 years...and yes, my guess is also fake raid which if its anything like mine (IBM8671) can be disabled without harm...nice hearing from you ranch hand...will
keep an eye out for future post...jerrrys

ranch hand
January 26th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Thanks a bunch for your help. I like to play with the computer and really want separate drives.

I am on Intrepid now. Just got the dial up connection straight thanks to other grreat folks here on the forums.

Thanks Again