PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Screenshot also shows faint grab dialogue box

loobyloo
January 25th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Hi
I've just tried to take a screenshot and you can see the dialogue box.

http://tinyurl.com/cpjo26

Apart from work-rounds like moving it into the corner or something, is there a way of making the dialogue box disappear in the final image?

desperado665
January 25th, 2009, 08:31 PM
try taking a timed snapshot

Dr Small
Are you running Compiz-Fusion? It looks like the window is slowly faiding out while pressing PrintScreen.

SunnyRabbiera
Yeh this is an old problem, seems to be linked to the way the screenshot tool is rendered.
A way around this is to install ksnapshot, or use the screenshot tool in the gimp.

pi.boy.travis
January 25th, 2009, 08:32 PM
It is likely because of Compiz Fusion. It is easier to set a timer than to turn off Compiz.

SunnyRabbiera
January 25th, 2009, 08:34 PM
It is likely because of Compiz Fusion. It is easier to set a timer than to turn off Compiz.

or use the gimp, its screenshot tool is just as good.

loobyloo
January 25th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Woo, that was fast! Thanks - the delayed screenshot idea worked but I'll look into the other suggestions as I won't remember to delay it all the time.

Thanks folks!

loobyloo
January 25th, 2009, 08:49 PM
SunnyRabiera - where's the screesnhot grab tool in Gimp? Googling, someone said it's in File>Acquire>Screenshot but I can't seen an option by that name there in Gimp 2.6.1

TIA

llamabr
January 25th, 2009, 09:23 PM
File > Create > Screenshot

Also, you could try scrot, which runs on the command line:

brock@vader:~/Desktop$ apt-cache search scrot
scrot - command line screen capture utility
brock@vader:~/Desktop$

thraxy
January 25th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Well, if you want a fullscreen screenshot, you can just use the PrtSc button. That should make a screenshot without opening the selection box. It will only ask what name you want to save it as.

Also, if you have Compiz enabled, it's a good idea to enable the screenshot option in there. That way if you just want to make a screenshot of a small selection of the screen, you can use super+leftclick and drag a selection around the area you want. I find that feature very handy when I just want to send someone a small picture of what I'm working on in GIMP or a piece of an IM convo.

kostkon
January 25th, 2009, 09:52 PM
File > Create > Screenshot

Also, you could try scrot, which runs on the command line:

brock@vader:~/Desktop$ apt-cache search scrot
scrot - command line screen capture utility
brock@vader:~/Desktop$
Or a GUI app based on it, GScrot (https://launchpad.net/gscrot), if you like. It is very good.