PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Before installing.

VicktheTrader
January 24th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Before installing, and using this forum, I just had a couple quick questions.

Where can I find the latest Ubuntu 8.10 download for Intel processors? I noticed the download name for the 64 Bit Ubuntu is Ubuntu 8.10 AMD64, I figured that meant it's an AMD-only version.

Also, under the 4.1 Linux Hardware Compatibility HOWTO (http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO/) it says..

4.1. Intel
Intel 386SX/DX/SL, 486SX/DX/SL/SX2/DX2/DX4, Pentium, Pentium Pro, Pentium II, Pentium III (regular and Xeon versions), Pentium 4, and Celeron (including mobile versions of all of the above) are all supported.
I'm not sure if the 486 DX2 is the same as the Intel Core 2 Duo Processor. Does the 64-Bit version of Linux support the Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Processor?

perlluver
January 24th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Before installing, and using this forum, I just had a couple quick questions.

Where can I find the latest Ubuntu 8.10 download for Intel processors? I noticed the download name for the 64 Bit Ubuntu is Ubuntu 8.10 AMD64, I figured that meant it's an AMD-only version.

Also, under the 4.1 Linux Hardware Compatibility HOWTO it says..

I'm not sure if the 386 DX2 is the same as the Intel Core 2 Duo Processor. Does the 64-Bit version of Linux support the Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Processor?

For the first part, about AMD64, that is the 64 bit edition, it will run on Intel, and Amd. The second part, I believe it is a 64 bit processor, but I am unsure.