PDA

View Full Version : [other] [WinXP, Ubuntu] (PanP4) Can't Disable Annoying Low-Battery Beep

tehloki
January 24th, 2009, 08:50 PM
I've got a pangolin performance, which I purchased december 2008, and it's been great so far, except for one thing: when I'm on battery power, if my power level reaches 9%, the system begins to emit a very high-pitched, very LOUD beep every 2 seconds or so. This doesn't seem to be a very useful feature... one beep would be plenty to warn me. I don't want my laptop beeping at full volume while I'm in a seminar.

I've tried going into sound settings in both winxp and ubuntu, and disabling ALL sounds, but the low-battery BEEP BEEP BEEP persists unless I actually mute my volume. I've checked the BIOS settings, and there is a "low battery beep" option, but it's disabled.

Has anyone had this issue? What can I do, beyond simply turning my sound off once my laptop battery hits 10% power (not a satisfactory option).

thomasaaron
January 26th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Please try the various suggestions in this thread...

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-785950.html

They didn't fix it in Hardy (8.04), but, at the end, it is reported to have been fixed in Intrepid.

tehloki
January 26th, 2009, 06:06 PM
What about winxp? Am I stuck with the beep if I'm booted into windows?

thomasaaron
January 26th, 2009, 06:37 PM
To be honest, I don't know my way around WinXP to tell you how to disable it.

I googled "disable low battery beep windows xp" and it pulls up quite a few threads dealing with that issue. You might give that a try.

Or, 76ers? Anybody out there dual-booting a PanP4 and experiencing this problem?