PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Mono output with Pulseaudio?

picpak
January 24th, 2009, 07:42 PM
I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 and I want to know if there's a way to output my audio down to one channel in PulseAudio. My right headphone speaker is toast and I want something to tide me over until I get new ones.;)

razvanab
February 5th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Come on guys !

tell us how to output audio down to one channel with pulseaudio

markbuntu
February 5th, 2009, 10:36 PM
You can try this, I am not sure if it will work. Open the /etc/pulse/daemon.conf file as sudo

sudo gedit /etc/pulse/daemon.conf

find the line

;default-sample-channels = 2

change it to

default-sample-channels = 1

restart pulseaudio or just logout and login

Like I said, I am not sure if this will work but it should resample all your audio to mono. If you could let us know if this works or not it would be appreciated.

If something goes drastically wrong just reedit the file back the way it was etc.

lukepadawan
April 23rd, 2009, 03:27 PM
If you're only looking for mono output with ubuntu, you could also try edit ~/.asoundrc (if you're using alsa):

#version 1
pcm.mono {
type route
slave.pcm "cards.pcm.default"
ttable.0.1 1
ttable.1.1 1
}
pcm.!default pcm.mono

or...

#version 2
pcm.mono {
type route
ttable.0.0 1
ttable.1.0 1
}
pcm.!default pcm.mono

razvanab
May 22nd, 2009, 11:56 PM
doesn't work sorry

[picpak] install wine and use foobar2000 which have a stereo 2 mono plug-in

works perfect with ubuntu...

pablojavier
October 12th, 2009, 04:24 PM
If you're only looking for mono output with ubuntu, you could also try edit ~/.asoundrc (if you're using alsa):

#version 1
pcm.mono {
type route
ttable.0.1 1
ttable.1.1 1
}
pcm.!default pcm.mono

or...

lukepadawan, this worked perfectly for me! I am using ALSA in jaunty and I needed something like this because I have a MONO cassette adapter to connect to an old amplifier.

Thanks a lot!!

jARLAXL
February 20th, 2010, 11:32 AM
lukepadawan, this worked perfectly for me! I am using ALSA in jaunty and I needed something like this because I have a MONO cassette adapter to connect to an old amplifier.

Thanks a lot!!

+1 :guitar:

one of my soundboxes is out of order therefore needed mono desperately but i dont know of a clickable way to do this. maybe apps like rythmbox or amarok should have such an option?

jARLAXL
February 20th, 2010, 09:15 PM
However!

doing this modification will not make it possible to listen to multiple sound outputs simultaneously.