PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for reducing PSU noise

4ebees
January 24th, 2009, 02:01 AM
Hi all,

I realise this may start a big dispute; however ... :)

P4 3Ghz
1.4Mb RAM
160G HDD + 500G HDD
8.04.1 Ubuntu
2 x PVR-150 tuners

My system runs quite hot and the PSU though not LOUD is still not quiet.

I had thought about Liquid cooling systems, but was recently told they're not that quiet really.

I had also thought about Corsair run silent (allegedly) PSUs.

Has any one any experience with the liquid cooling systems or the Corsairs?

Many thanks for any information provided.

movieman
January 24th, 2009, 04:47 AM
P4s run pretty hot; you might be better off to invest a few bucks in something like an AMD4850e and a cheap motherboard... if the system is on 24/7 you'd probably save the cost in reduced power consumption over a year or two.

ian dobson
January 24th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Hi,

Have a look at the motherboard you have. Maybe it'll support Core2Duo's.

Pentium 4's run really hot, that could be your problem.

Regards
Ian Dobson

scary_jeff
January 24th, 2009, 01:57 PM
As the others have said, P4 will always run hot, using more power, making the PSU work harder and generate more heat itself. Do you know what PSU you have now? If it is a relatively cheap one, it's certainly possible to get a quieter system by upgrading it to a more efficient one.
The main thing to find out really is if you had a totally silent PSU, would the noise of everything else still be unacceptable? You can always get a bigger/quieter heatsink as well as a new PSU, or even water cooling, but buy the time you have bought all that, you could probably have paid for the AMD system that movieman suggested.

4ebees
January 24th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Hi,

Have a look at the motherboard you have. Maybe it'll support Core2Duo's.

Pentium 4's run really hot, that could be your problem.

Regards
Ian Dobson

Hi again!

4ebees
January 24th, 2009, 02:25 PM
As the others have said, P4 will always run hot, using more power, making the PSU work harder and generate more heat itself. Do you know what PSU you have now? If it is a relatively cheap one, it's certainly possible to get a quieter system by upgrading it to a more efficient one.
The main thing to find out really is if you had a totally silent PSU, would the noise of everything else still be unacceptable? You can always get a bigger/quieter heatsink as well as a new PSU, or even water cooling, but buy the time you have bought all that, you could probably have paid for the AMD system that movieman suggested.

Hi all,

Another mobo and CPU are not possible at present. I've decided on a couple of things:

1. A remote is important :))

I have one from Hauppauge. It's second hand and I cannot tell what model it is - or even if it works! I'm currently trying to get it working - if it won't then I'll have to pony-up for those 'you-beaut-Windows-MCE' devices that people say are 'plug-and-play' and 'just work'(TM)

The 'destructions' for getting this Hauppauge remote working are somewhat formidable and would certainly stop you from using it if you knew nothing about Gnu/Linux - and though I'm not an expert I'm working on getting the thing going.

2. I'm going to get a Zalman CPU cooler (the one with the copper heat sink in the doughnut shape. I used to work in sheet-metal and agree that copper is a very good conductor. This will help reduce the heat.

3. I'm going to try out the box in the tv cabinet (going to cut a hole in the rear and remove the side from the machine) to see how it goes.

I'll see how I cope with the noise. My wife said she doesn't find it intrusive, so I'll see how it goes.

At this point I have to say that the quality of the image delivered is quite impressive. There's sometimes a slight stutter - occasionally - but not frequently. My kids love the idea of pausing and rewinding something they're watching live (cartoons were never as much fun:)) They rewound some funny piece a few times just to laugh at it again.

Plus, being able to pause live-to-air when interrupted at night when one of the kids wakes-up is a God-send!!!

I may even start to watch movies on television!

Thanks to everyone who is and has offered assistance. It is definitely most welcome and greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

LorenzoS
January 24th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Go check out silentpcreview.com . They have tons of information about keeping your machine quiet, noise and heat tests for various hardware components and the user forums are great. I spent lots of time researching over there before building my machine and it was worth it.

I some cases there are clever modifications you can make to the layout of your hardware and cables inside the box to improve airflow and cooling. Some guys even set up elaborate ducting to get the best cooling for least effort.

khelben1979
January 24th, 2009, 06:06 PM
If you're considering getting another PSU over there, I would suggest that you spend some time reading over at DriverHeaven. Check this out (http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews.php?category=18).

scary_jeff
January 25th, 2009, 02:49 AM
I have one from Hauppauge. It's second hand and I cannot tell what model it is - or even if it works!

Hold the remote in front of at a digital camera at short range. Watch the screen on the camera as you press buttons on the remote - if the remote is working, you will see it light up on the camera screen.

4ebees
January 25th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Hold the remote in front of at a digital camera at short range. Watch the screen on the camera as you press buttons on the remote - if the remote is working, you will see it light up on the camera screen.

Hi scary_jeff,

Yeah, I came across this last night. Neat trick isn't it.

The remote is giving out a signal, but I'm buggered if I can get it working. I'm either to dumb (naaaaaaaaaaaaaah!) or the destructions are far from prosaic (hmmmmmmmmmm).

If I can't get it work in the next 24-48hrs, the missus will become annoyed and want me to "just buy something" :))

I kinda like fixing it myself...

;)

4ebees
January 25th, 2009, 01:01 PM
If you're considering getting another PSU over there, I would suggest that you spend some time reading over at DriverHeaven. Check this out (http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews.php?category=18).

Nice one Khelben1979,

Great site. Thanks for that.

4ebees
January 25th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Go check out silentpcreview.com . They have tons of information about keeping your machine quiet, noise and heat tests for various hardware components and the user forums are great. I spent lots of time researching over there before building my machine and it was worth it.

I some cases there are clever modifications you can make to the layout of your hardware and cables inside the box to improve airflow and cooling. Some guys even set up elaborate ducting to get the best cooling for least effort.

Thanks LorenzoS, that a great site. Very interesting and informative site.

Many thanks.

bryanf2009
January 25th, 2009, 05:07 PM
I would recommend:

Jeantec Artic 600 Watts http://jeantech.com/600.htm
The Case fans also play a big part to the Noise - you can find quiet Case fans (a good HTPC case Manufactuer is NMediaPC is http://www.nmediapc.com/product%202n.htm
The CPU fan also plays part

Regards

4ebees
January 30th, 2009, 03:30 AM
Ended up buying a Seasonic S12II 430W PSU

http://www.seasonicusa.com/S12II.htm

and a Zalman CNPS7700 CPU fan and heat sink

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article209-page1.html

The Seasonic VERY quiet and the Zalman heat sink is amazing in design and very quiet.

Thanks to everyone for your advice and information. It has been extremely helpful and informative.

If no-one minds, I'm going to list the thread as solved.