PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Stream to Xbox360/PS3 help?

dustintinsley
January 23rd, 2009, 11:29 PM
I've always used Fuppes to stream to my 360. I recently got a PS3 and, about the same time, update to Ubuntu 8.10 64-bit. I got fuppes installed and working, somewhat. On the PS3, playback is very choppy. Plays for a few seconds, freezes, then plays. On the 360, it will play for around 15 minutes, then completely lock up. I am not sure if fuppes isnt playing nice with 8.10 or the fact that I am using 64-bit now. I tried Twonky, and it seems to work better, but I don't see paying $30 for it if there is a freeware option available. What can I try/do to get a program to play nice with Ubuntu 8.10 64-bit and my PS3 and Xbox360? Any help appreciated.

dustintinsley
January 24th, 2009, 02:42 AM
Nevermind what I said about Twonky working. It has the same symptoms as Fuppes. Any idea of what the problem could be? I never had this problem on previous installs of Ubuntu.

dustintinsley
January 25th, 2009, 04:11 PM
bump

HunterK
January 25th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Have you ever tried Mediatomb? Just curious. Its what I've always used.

dustintinsley
January 25th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Tried it before, wasn't a huge fan of the interface. What do you use it to stream to? PS3 or 360 or what? I tried another movie on the PS3, it started stuttering about 5 minutes into it. Tried on the 360, it played about 3/4 the movie, then locked up. This was with fuppes.

HunterK
January 25th, 2009, 06:41 PM
I stream to my PS3 using mediatomb. Yeah, the web browser interface is clunky, but it works for me. I've got everything hard wired using a linksys router. Is your PS3 and Xbox hooked up via wireless? Do you think we are looking at a possible bandwidth issue here?

dave_chimaera
February 4th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Alas Mediatomb doesn't support the 360 - apparantly the 360's UPNP setup isn't exactly standard.

I've been poking around the same issue for a while and have settled on Twonky since it's the only thing that has worked reliably for me - I cuold never see my shares via ushare and Fuppes was just a pain in the *** to build. Given the time involved for me to set up anything better the minor cost of Twonky is more than worth it - although there are a couple of minor problems I am having with it...