PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] no icons on desktop

oddish2211
January 23rd, 2009, 03:31 PM
i've just changed from ubuntu to kubuntu to try out KDE, and it's a pleasure for my eye!
but i never worked with KDE and i have a question about the desktop.
in ubuntu, every file in /home/*user*/Desktop was displayed on the desktop, but in kubuntu nothing is displayed on the desktop in that directory (i copied the whole home directory from ubuntu)

is it possible to let kubuntu automaticly display every file in */Desktop on the Desktop? and new devices like usb-sticks?

icanfly0307
January 23rd, 2009, 08:19 PM
I don't think you can get everything under the Desktop folder to show on the Desktop in KDE. However, depending on the version you're running, you could try the Folder View widget. It'll let you view the contents of any directory that you specify.

If you want the traditional icons, just drag and drop them onto the desktop. Hope this helps. :)

oddish2211
January 23rd, 2009, 11:29 PM
i've now used the folder view widget, it's not the best way, but it works, if anyone has another suggestion, please let me know.

jacksaff
January 24th, 2009, 07:46 AM
In KDE4.2 you can select the folder view widget to be your entire desktop, thus replicating the icon-on-desktop feature that you are used to, only you have all the rest of the plasma capability too.
Release candidates are out now and easy to install. Kde4.2 final is due next week.