PDA

View Full Version : Where does Mythbuntu store its settings file?

4ebees
January 23rd, 2009, 02:46 AM
Hi all,

Given that I'll be fiddling with my setup for a while, can someone please direct me to where in the file structure Mythbuntu stores the settings file (eg. like xorg.conf being in /etc/X11)

This will help me to easily restore whatever I break :))

Many thanks.

newlinux
January 23rd, 2009, 04:12 AM
If you are referring to mythtv settings, most are stored in the mysql database.

4ebees
January 23rd, 2009, 05:15 AM
If you are referring to mythtv settings, most are stored in the mysql database.

Thanks newlinux.

Where exactly can I access them? I'd like to back'm up when I try to bork my box.

newlinux
January 23rd, 2009, 04:47 PM
I think mythbuntu-control-centre allows you to schedule regular backups. I use a cron job and backup my database daily and keep 7 days worth of backups. It's similar to what is done on this page:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:Periodic_Maintenance

I use phpmyadmin to access the database directly, but if all you need is backups, you can do it with help from the link above.

roundhay
January 24th, 2009, 11:55 AM
I am running Mythbuntu and seem to be having problems with the channel scanning function of myth and want to access the myth database using phpmyadmin so I can mannually change some of the channels settings to see if I can fix the probelm.

I have installed phpmyadmin but I can't see the myth database so I have not been able to access it.

Do you know how I can access the database using phpmyadmin?

4ebees
January 24th, 2009, 12:25 PM
I think mythbuntu-control-centre allows you to schedule regular backups. I use a cron job and backup my database daily and keep 7 days worth of backups. It's similar to what is done on this page:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:Periodic_Maintenance

I use phpmyadmin to access the database directly, but if all you need is backups, you can do it with help from the link above.

Hi again,

I think we're talking about different things. I'm more seeking where the setup details are stored. For instance, if I set particular parameters for video storage, is there a file which holds that information. If I then backup the file, I can re-insert it if I bork something.

It's possible this may not be possible - or simple :)

newlinux
January 24th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Hi again,

I think we're talking about different things. I'm more seeking where the setup details are stored. For instance, if I set particular parameters for video storage, is there a file which holds that information. If I then backup the file, I can re-insert it if I bork something.

It's possible this may not be possible - or simple :)

We are talking about the same thing. Those settings are in the database. So you either need to backup the database, or the particular tables in the database that have the setting you want to save. If you bork something you would then either restore the table or the whole database. Almost all of myth's frontend and backend settings are stored in the mysql database. It's as simple as the instructions in the link I posted earlier. It's just a couple of commands to backup and restore.

newlinux
January 24th, 2009, 03:35 PM
I am running Mythbuntu and seem to be having problems with the channel scanning function of myth and want to access the myth database using phpmyadmin so I can mannually change some of the channels settings to see if I can fix the probelm.

I have installed phpmyadmin but I can't see the myth database so I have not been able to access it.

Do you know how I can access the database using phpmyadmin?

did you install phpmyadmin on the master backend? What happens when you try to see the DB? Do you get a choice of looking at the mythconverg database? It should just be one of the dbs you can select when you go to the phpmyadmin web page

4ebees
January 24th, 2009, 04:15 PM
hokely dokely,

It appeared to me that we were not discussing the same issue, so I'm glad it was my misunderstanding.

Many thanks for that, I'll get on to it :)

roundhay
January 24th, 2009, 04:39 PM
did you install phpmyadmin on the master backend? What happens when you try to see the DB? Do you get a choice of looking at the mythconverg database? It should just be one of the dbs you can select when you go to the phpmyadmin web page

Yes i have installed phpmyadmin on the same PC as the backend. The PC is working as both backend & frontend

When i go to http://localhost/phpmyadmin I can't see any reference to mythconverg?

when I search for mythconverg it appears to be in /var/lib/mysql/mythconverg

I have tried to open this folder using the database > import > browse function in phpmyadmin but it would open / load?
:confused:
I have also tried opening the mysql.txt file using databse > import > browse. The file is in /home/use/.mythtv but I got the following error message in phpmyadmin

Error

SQL query:

DBHostName = localhostDBUserName = mythtvDBPassword = C1RFOKlEDBName = mythconvergDBType = QMYSQL3

MySQL said: Documentation
#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'DBHostName=localhost

DBUserName=mythtv
DBPassword=C1RFOKlE
DBName=mythconverg
' at line 1

Solved this -- needed to log into phpmyadmin as root