PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] cant ssh to ip to domain name, but can through ip

christoforever
January 23rd, 2009, 12:57 AM
So I just set up a domain name www.christoforever.com its pretty lame but its just a start. I cant however ssh into christoforever.com like

ssh cdancy@christoforever.com

I can however do ssh cdancy@###.##.##.### and that works just fine. I was simply wondering if there was something I had to set to make this work.

ooobooontooo
January 23rd, 2009, 01:07 AM
Did you set up the DNS server, so the computer can convert domain name to ip address?

christoforever
January 23rd, 2009, 01:09 AM
The only thing I did was forward and mask the domain name at godaddy meaning i said to forward christoforever.com to ##.##.##.##

ooobooontooo
January 23rd, 2009, 01:13 AM
My understanding is that you need to set up a DNS server so that once you contact domain, it will send you back the ip address so that ssh can establish connection with the ip address. Without the DNS server, you'll contact the domain but ssh won't know the ip so it won't be able to establish connection....I think.

nishv
January 23rd, 2009, 01:14 AM
You need to add an A Record on the DNS to point christoforever.com to the IP.

christoforever
January 23rd, 2009, 01:19 AM
To do that, do I have to setup a DNS server on my local machine or can I go through say godaddy.com or another site which has a DNS server?

nishv
January 23rd, 2009, 01:22 AM
It has to be done on the DNS Server of the above Domain Name...

Since you are using Godaddy's DNS Servers, you need to login to the DNS Control page and Add it...

christoforever
January 23rd, 2009, 03:22 AM
nishv: Thank you, that did it. godaddy does not make doing such a thing exactly easy or intuitive, but after some digging through their site I found where I needed to Add an A record and that worked. Thank you.

nishv
January 23rd, 2009, 12:23 PM
Glad I was able to help! :)