PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Connect To An Apple Network... at Work.

TheUnabeefer
January 23rd, 2009, 12:33 AM
At my work, the network is horribly run on a lot of old Macs. They don't use DHCP, so everything is set manually. There is a wired and a (much slower) wireless network.

Mind you, the lone tech guy knows less than my mother about computers...

I bring my laptop, as the Mac they have me working on is slow as molasses and they refuse to upgrade anyone. I am running Kubuntu 8.10 on my laptop, and usually connect to the internet through the wireless network.

I have ALL the applications I need to do my work (Graphic artist for a newspaper) on my laptop... either native Linux or in WINE and Virtualbox (Ad creator for Windows and Photoshop, as we use CMYK) and would like to be able to connect to the actual intranet (intra-, not inter-) here at work.... then I can just use my laptop and get things done without waiting 20 minutes for an application to load.... or worry about crashing any time more than one app is loaded. They have a few drives shared on the intranet, we call our "Ad Servers" where all the ad info is stored.

Using the IP settings I found in the Mac (OSX 10.3) Network config, I tried to connect my laptop to the wired network, but to no avail. I do believe they also use AppleTalk for the network sharing anyways, but EVERY bit of info I can find on Netatalk tells how to SET UP an Appletalk network, not connect TO one. It won't even connect to the wired network to get online.

Does anyone have any helpful info, possibly on how to connect to the Appletalk net through the wireless connection, in case that's possible... or if there's something simple I am not thinking of.

Once again, the tech guy is a moron, but gets pissy if you make him look like one... and isn't very helpful for anything he doesn't have strict control over with the network. No one really knows how the heck he even set up the network, but a few people from our ISP have told us that it's a mess and they refuse to touch it. So, I don't think I will be able to just ask him to hook me up, because he just would refuse... most likely because he wouldn't even know how.

Any help at all is appreciated. To sum up, I'd like to simply get my linux laptop connected to the wired (or wireless) Apple-based intranet.

I have the Router IP info, and DNS Server numbers... on the Mac it DOES show an IPv6 address, that it apparently automatically obtains.

Thanks much!!! (btw, been a long long time Linux user, but I still am not the most knowledgable on networking... so I'm not a linux noob, but I am an idiot on networking.)