PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 8.10-64 cannot see any other computers on network

Marsonis
January 22nd, 2009, 03:35 PM
Hello everyone. I am using Ubuntu 8.10 64bit on my laptop, and I cannot see any other computers on a network. When I go to Places -> Network I see Windows Network and nothing else. When I click on Windows Network, nothing comes up.

I have tried this on my home network, which has one Vista machine and two Ubuntu 8.10 32 bit machines, and I have tried it at my office, which has several XP machines and a couple Windows 2003 Servers.

Interestingly, on my home network, I can see the Vista computer and my laptop from one of the computers running Ubuntu 8.10 32bit. I have not tried the other Ubuntu computer.

I installed GADMIN-Samba on my laptop, which overwrote the samba config file. Could that be the problem?

I really need to be able to transfer files to and from my laptop. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Erik Broel

superprash2003
January 22nd, 2009, 05:43 PM
this is a samba - nautilus bug.. you can access windows shared folders like this http://www.prash-babu.com/2008/09/how-to-access-windows-shared-folders-in.html

Marsonis
February 13th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the link. I followed the directions from that post, but it still will not work. Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks!