PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] DVD Backup Problems

Black Razor
January 21st, 2009, 10:21 PM
Ok,

So I LEGALLY own the new batman movie, Dark Knight, and I want to rip the files from it so I can encode them for my iPod. Problem is, Warner Bros seems to have put some kind of unique copy protection on it which is preventing me from doing this. It almost appears as if they are using fake bad sectors on the disc to prevent its used on a PC. Does anyone have any information on this? Also, anyone know how I can get the media files off my DVD? I can't even see the Audio_TS folder, and this isnt just Dark Knight, it's like this for another Warner Bros movie I own called Towelhead.

*grumpy grumbling*

Anyone know anything about this?

jalirious
April 6th, 2009, 01:22 PM
yup, k9copy aint cutting it. Gonna try some doze apps on wine..

numbness05
April 9th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Hey I was having difficulty ripping DVD's too but a good techy friend of mine suggested some thing called Thoggen....

It will rip your DVD but in to ogg format so you'll have to convert it if you want to burn it but that is easy once you have been able to rip it.

I have just backed up the entire Batman collection using thoggen funnily enough and it really is extremely easy to use and I am a complete beginner really....

Give it a try should be able to grab it through synaptic

Regards
Numbness

mudman00
April 11th, 2009, 02:41 AM
Hey I was having difficulty ripping DVD's too but a good techy friend of mine suggested some thing called Thoggen....

It will rip your DVD but in to ogg format so you'll have to convert it if you want to burn it but that is easy once you have been able to rip it.

I have just backed up the entire Batman collection using thoggen funnily enough and it really is extremely easy to use and I am a complete beginner really....

Give it a try should be able to grab it through synaptic

Regards
Numbness
Numbness, I have downloaded and installed the latest iteration of Thoggen. Of course for nothing but absolutely legal backups........I can back up the DVD's that I own, can't I?

When I try to use it I get a message in the Select Titles That You Wish to Rip window that says......"Failed to Retrieve DVD title details for some reason. Maybe you do not have libdvdcss2 installed?"

I don't even know what libdvdcss2 is........I will do a search but could you explain what it is, where I get it and what it does please. I am trying to understand this OS from a conceptual level. I do not know very much about software, though I do understand systems. I cannot write code and my command of Ubuntu at this point is minimal at best.

Thank you for any and all help

Craig

FatAngus
April 11th, 2009, 04:07 AM
Numbness, I have downloaded and installed the latest iteration of Thoggen. Of course for nothing but absolutely legal backups........I can back up the DVD's that I own, can't I?

When I try to use it I get a message in the Select Titles That You Wish to Rip window that says......"Failed to Retrieve DVD title details for some reason. Maybe you do not have libdvdcss2 installed?"

I don't even know what libdvdcss2 is........I will do a search but could you explain what it is, where I get it and what it does please. I am trying to understand this OS from a conceptual level. I do not know very much about software, though I do understand systems. I cannot write code and my command of Ubuntu at this point is minimal at best.

Thank you for any and all help

Craig

This is a really good link that contains the information you are looking for. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683

Installing libdvdcss2 is about half way down the page and is labeled --PART 4/5, DVD PLAYBACK/RIPPING/BURNING--.

Hope this helps :)

u-slayer
April 12th, 2009, 04:36 AM
DVDFab runnning thru WINE works just fine.

mudman00
April 12th, 2009, 05:34 AM
This is a really good link that contains the information you are looking for. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683

Installing libdvdcss2 is about half way down the page and is labeled --PART 4/5, DVD PLAYBACK/RIPPING/BURNING--.

Hope this helps :)
I appreciate the info.....I went ahead and installed everything that Nathan was kind enough to post up....I now have the library and everything else that he suggested.

I was able to get Thoggen up and running but it was really sloooooooowwwwww...I am accustomed to using DVD decrypter when I still was still running that viral code from Microsoft., It would crunch through a disk in about 20 minutes or so...Thoggen was indicating that it would take over four hours. Is this normal?

Thank you again
Craig