View Full Version : [ubuntu] itunes substitutes?

January 21st, 2009, 09:50 PM
Hey everyone, I'm a Linux beginner currently running Ubuntu 8.04 and just bought an iPhone 3G and there are a couple things I would like to do with it that require iTunes. Unfortunately from what I've gathered across the forum, iTunes doesn't function properly in a Linux environment. I don't really care about the organizational benefits to it (I'm currently using Amarok for my library anyway) but I want to be able to 1.) update the phones firmware 2.) transfer music and album art to the phone and 3.) hopefully use the music store.
I don't have a version of a WidowsOS (and I won't pay for Vista) so I think a vitualBox is out of the option. I've also heard that running through wine slows down your system and that the iphone tranfer and music store don't work.
Can someone recommend a workaround or a tutorial explaining how to do this if it's possible? Can it be done with Amarok or Rythmbox? I've also heard something about a program called SongBird? Thanks for the help.

January 21st, 2009, 09:58 PM
I use Songbird, check this link for download: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Songbird

I think you will only be able to update your iPhone with iTunes, but you can add all kinds of multimedia via Songbird. It is pretty similar to iTunes as well. Songbird is multipltoform and work in, Windows, Mac, Linux, BSD and Solaris

January 21st, 2009, 10:05 PM
Songbird is a wonderful multi-media player. You'll be able to do all of your music with it, and artwork.

About the Firmware, do you have any friends with a PC or Mac running iTunes that you could use to update it?

February 20th, 2009, 09:10 PM
I have the same problem. So far from my research people seem to be recommending songbird and banshee. I have one question though. Can either of those two play movies and music videos from itunes? I have just switched to ubuntu full time and i aint goin back!:popcorn: