PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] What file extension is file type ogg Theora video? Ogv or Ogg?

Rytron
January 21st, 2009, 08:05 PM
Hi. I notice that when videos are made in Pitivi that it doesn't add a file extension. In a folder, under type the video is ogg Theora video. I like to add extensions to all my files to allow for easier searching. Shold these files get a .ogg or a .ogv extension?
Thanks.

jerome1232
January 21st, 2009, 08:07 PM
It doesn't matter. ogg or ogv are fine. The extensions are more there for humans to tell what the files are the computer normally couldn't care less about the extension.

If I recall right they've recently started encouraging using .oga for audio and .ogv for video.

timcredible
January 21st, 2009, 08:22 PM
last i saw it was .ogg for both video files and audio files, but other poster is right, it doesn't really matter. you could name them all .ogg-video or .video.ogg - remember, linux filenames are much more flexible than windows.

Crummy_Gummy
April 24th, 2011, 09:47 PM
ogg is what you are looking for. Despite the fact that Linux is lenient with extensions there are plenty apps that still use the extensions to identify file types. I had to change the extension of my file to ogg so that dvdstyler could see it.

Tootler
May 10th, 2011, 12:03 AM
ogg is what you are looking for. Despite the fact that Linux is lenient with extensions there are plenty apps that still use the extensions to identify file types. I had to change the extension of my file to ogg so that dvdstyler could see it.

This link (http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/MIME_Types_and_File_Extensions) is proposing .ogg or .oga for audio, .ogv for video and replacing .ogg by .ogx for generic ogg files. These are for MIME types but general file naming will follow MIME types as some software insists on adding extensions even if the OS doesn't need them.

They are useful for quick identification of file types and having a separate extension for audio and video files is useful in that respect.