PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade help!

cheeseburgerman1
January 21st, 2009, 06:44 PM
Hi i am upgrading my processor, graphics card, and ram tomorrow.
current specs.
amd 64 athlong x2 2.0 ghz
1gb ram ddr2 4200 shared with onboard graphics card
Nvidia 6150le On board graphics card utilizing 256 mbs system mem

Specs after upgrades.
amd athlon 64 x2 2.9 ghz
4gb ram ddr 5300 mhz
EVGA GeForce 8500 GT 1GB PCIe w/Dual Link DVI
Pctuner card.
Upgraded cpu fan and power supply.

I was just wondering if there were any problems i might come up against when installing this or if there is a certain way i might want to go about it?

cheeseburgerman1
January 21st, 2009, 07:31 PM
please any thoughts?

howefield
January 21st, 2009, 07:33 PM
Looks fine although you might want to check the tv tuner for compatibility to ensure a smooth install.

If you use 32 bit you may not see all of your 4 gig of ram, you would need to use 64 bit version, or the PAE enabled 32 bit kernel.

lswest
January 21st, 2009, 07:35 PM
set your graphic driver to VESA before replacing the gfx card (e.g. disable any other drivers you installed by editing your xorg.conf file and changing the driver from nvidia to vesa). Then, after you replace the card, re-install the drivers (otherwise you may face issues).

Other than that it should be fine.

cheeseburgerman1
January 21st, 2009, 08:26 PM
ahh thanks for the tip on setting to vesa. and one more tidbit that could help me out greatly would be whether i have to reformat a whole drive to switch to 64 bit, or just the partition the linux is installed on?

howefield
January 21st, 2009, 10:50 PM
ahh thanks for the tip on setting to vesa. and one more tidbit that could help me out greatly would be whether i have to reformat a whole drive to switch to 64 bit, or just the partition the linux is installed on?

You are not completely clear here, do you mean you have other operating systems on your disk or something else ?

cheeseburgerman1
January 22nd, 2009, 04:25 PM
yes. i have vista 32 bit also installed on the drive along with a recovery partition for vista.

cheeseburgerman1
January 22nd, 2009, 04:31 PM
Also, ummm apparently i need a little help either finding the correct version of xorg.conf or i dont actually know what i should be editing in the file. also, i have several xorg.conf files with numbers appended to the end, but this is the readout of the orginal xorg.conf

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
DefaultDepth 24
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "glx"
Disable "dri2"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Driver "nvidia"
EndSection

cheeseburgerman1
January 22nd, 2009, 07:51 PM
Nevermind, i figured it out. my screen has been all uglified and enlarged.