PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Tilde / hash key not working on UK Dell Inspiron 1000

Chris Johnson
January 21st, 2009, 06:15 PM
I've put ubuntu ibex on an old UK Dell Inspiron 1000 laptop, but the key with hash and tilde (# and ~) on it doesn't work.

The layout has Esc, F1-F12, #/~, Print Screen on the top row. Esc and the function keys work, but not #/~.

None of the dell keyboard layouts available seem to fit exactly (there is one for inspiron 6xxx/8xxx, but not for any other inspiron model), and no layout that I can find works.

Any ideas as to how to fix this? The tutorials that I can find on creating a custom layout are for pre-ibex versions, where the xorg configuration is somewhat different.

Many thanks.

Update: I have removed xubuntu and installed normal ubuntu to try and fix this, with no luck. Does anyone have experience in ibex keyboard maps?

rico001
May 28th, 2012, 09:34 PM
I've put ubuntu ibex on an old UK Dell Inspiron 1000 laptop, but the key with hash and tilde (# and ~) on it doesn't work.

The layout has Esc, F1-F12, #/~, Print Screen on the top row. Esc and the function keys work, but not #/~.

None of the dell keyboard layouts available seem to fit exactly (there is one for inspiron 6xxx/8xxx, but not for any other inspiron model), and no layout that I can find works.

Any ideas as to how to fix this? The tutorials that I can find on creating a custom layout are for pre-ibex versions, where the xorg configuration is somewhat different.

Many thanks.

Update: I have removed xubuntu and installed normal ubuntu to try and fix this, with no luck. Does anyone have experience in ibex keyboard maps?

I have similiar problems with a US layout and pushing the t key; For Xubuntu, I think its with using the xfce window manager; can you go to settings --> settings manager --> keyboard and then click the layout tab; I used an alternate install cd to install a later version; There is a special keybourd layout for dells, it might be available for you, it says Dell Laptop/notebook inspiron 6xxx/8xxx

It only worked for me once.
i8kutils is a suite of utilities (should be in Synaptic) for Dell Laptops, I don't know how to use it :)

Another option: you can use a program such as abiword to get special characters that you can cut and paste into a document.

Option 4: on screen keyboard
Hope this helps some