PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Brother printer issues

alenis
January 21st, 2009, 02:40 PM
I am experiencing the following problem with a Brother MFC 8840D printing text documents.
The first print is usually ok. The second print of the same document, unchanged or modified, is unreadable. See attached picture for an example.

http://www.euridea.com/grafici/example.jpg

It usually happens with OpenOffice. It once happened with adobe reader too. Other applications seem to work fine. It didn't happened with windows. I always had this problem (I'm using Ubuntu since Dapper.)
Currently I am using Hardy and the driver in the repository, which, as far as I know, is the same provided by Brother.

The other issue is that printing images takes ages...however, the first problem is more serious.
Thank you for any possibile advice .

alenis
January 23rd, 2009, 05:32 PM
After a lot of experiments, it seems that the problem was caused by the msttcorefonts package. The printer works well on a fresh ubuntu installation or after removing that package. Unfortunately, I can't use any more fonts that are important in porting documents form one plaftorm to the other. I have no idea where the bug hides, wether in the Brother driver or in the msttcorefonts package.