PDA

View Full Version : Please help create the youtube contribution video team

MadsRH
January 21st, 2009, 11:11 AM
More info on the Wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/The%20YouTube%20Contribution%20Video%20Team

MadsRH
January 22nd, 2009, 12:16 PM
I'm looking for people wanting to help out!!!

Made a quick test video (slideshow) here, but lacks commentary and screencast:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/The%20YouTube%20Contribution%20Video%20Team?action =AttachFile&do=view&target=ubuntu+contribute.mpg

---

Also, I found this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0df9Fg7ODeY

Samhain13
January 24th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Guildlines: (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/The%20YouTube%20Contribution%20Video%20Team)
-To make the videos easy to understand, we want to avoid a speaker with a foreign accent. Perhaps the commentary should be done by a native English speaking person?

How about encouraging people to speak in their native language for better "internationalization"? :D

MadsRH
January 24th, 2009, 06:13 PM
How about encouraging people to speak in their native language for better "internationalization"? :D

Fantastic idea! So the "tutorial" would be available in a variety of languages - brilliant.

MadsRH
January 26th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Can anybody record the commentary (text below) and send it to me / or post it here???

I'm almost done with part one translations. What I need from you is:

1. Someone with a good commentary voice that speaks English and can record the voiceover for the video. THIS ONE IS CRITICAL SO PLEASE HELP OUT!
2. Feedback on the commentary I wrote for the video (see below). I know it won't make much sense without the images. Anyway, especially a better ending is needed J

Any recordings can be sent to me at MadsRH(a)Gmail.com

//MadsRH

Welcome to this tutorial on how to contribute to Ubuntu. There's a lot of different ways you can contribute to Ubuntu, even if you're not a developer. In this first video I'll show you how to make translations using Launchpad.

Before we begin I should mention that you always can find more information about ways to contribute by visiting Ubuntu.com

So, what is Launchpad? Launchpad is a hosting service for open source projects that's big on collaboration.

Using Launchpad, you can translate free software projects and distribution packages into your own language. All you need is a Launchpad account and a web browser. There's no special software, and in most cases you don't need to join a team to get started. The registration is pretty straightforward - just follow the instructions.

Ones you've login to your account, you click the translations button on the Launchpad front page. Here you will be shown a list of translatable projects and a list of translatable operating systems I'm going to choose Ubuntu 9.04.

You'll now see a list of the translation status, sorted by language. Scroll down to find the language you want to create translations - I'll select Danish, which is my native language.

On this next page, you'll see a list of programs you can translate into Danish. The status bar shows you the translation progress for each program. The red part of the status bar illustrates untranslated strings that's the ones we want.

Ones you selected the program you want to translate, Launchpad will list the following for each string:

the original English string
a note on the string's context, to help you translate it more intelligently
any current translation
automatic suggestions: Because the same phrases often crop up in software interfaces, Launchpad automatically suggest possible translations from its library of millions of strings.
a text box, where you can write a new or altered translation if necessary.

If you want to view strings that has no current Danish translation, you simply select "Untranslated items" from the "translating:" dropdown menu.

That's it you ready to start translating.

Samhain13
January 27th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Sample screencast for this piece would be nice. If I can make time, maybe I can contribute a Filipino version. :D Anyway, here are some recommended changes:

Welcome to this tutorial on how to contribute to Ubuntu. There are a lot of different ways you can contribute to Ubuntu, even if you're not a developer. In this first video I'll show you how to make translations using Launchpad.

Before we begin I should mention that you can always find more information about ways to contribute by visiting Ubuntu.com.

Once you've logged in to your account, you click the translations button on the Launchpad front page. Here you will be shown a list of translatable projects and a list of translatable operating systems – I'm going to choose Ubuntu 9.04.

On this next page, you'll see a list of programs you can translate into Danish. The status bar shows you the translation progress for each program. The red part of the status bar illustrates untranslated strings – those are the ones we want.

Once you selected the program you want to translate, Launchpad will list the following for each string:

If you want to view strings that have no current Danish translation, you simply select "Untranslated items" from the "translating:" dropdown menu.